A work around to play blu-ray movies on Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MVApple, Sep 2, 2008.

1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I've read that there currently is software that you can use to backup movies to your computer, meaning it removes the copy right protection.

So is it possible to have an external blu-ray player hooked up to the macbook pro under bootcamp and to rip the movie as an iso to your hard drive with the copy right protection removed, and then to use a virtual drive software to load the iso and then play it back with some type of blu-ray software for windows? Also, seeing as how the copy right protection is removed, would this mean that the lack of hdcp compliance on the macbook pro is a moot point?

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Since you are looking for Software, you might get a better response in the Software section.

I think it is against the Forum policy to discuss removing copy right protection.

That being said, I backup all my DVD's using MacTheRipper, then Toast.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you own the disc, I would say use AnyDVD HD.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

AnyDVD HD on the Windows side, then Plex on the Mac side to play the m2ts file. Works like a charm.

5. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip. One question, with this setup, can you hook up the macbook pro to a tv and play blu-ray movies as well? Anydvd hd makes htcp compliance a moot point correct?

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Here's a thread I started a couple of weeks ago that shows how to get started.

With the four Blu-Ray discs I've bought, once they're ripped to a hard drive (I did AnyDVD HD's 21 day trial since it's $100 or so) it's just a plain decrypted m2ts file with one of the video formats (H.264, MPEG2 or VC1) and one of the audio formats (DD, DTS, True-HD or DTS-HD) and all the other filetypes that aren't important for playback. I found that one of my discs was intentionally fragmented into several m2ts files, but that another free win app (tsmuxer) could reconstruct the file from the playlist folder of the Blu-Ray rip.

After you have the complete file (which are in the 20-30 gb range), then just open it inside of Plex on your Mac side and it'll play just fine. All the HDCP blocks are removed. If you're connected to a 1080p TV or projector you'll get full-HD (which sometimes isn't all that impressive, btw) and if you're connected by optical cable to a receiver capable of decoding the audio formats, you'll get digital audio as well (i.e., 5.1, 7.1 or whatever is encoded in the m2ts file). Your MBP is plenty powerful - I do it on a 2 gHz Mac Mini.

For now, I'm done with Blu-Ray. The discs are too damned expensive. Hopefully they'll get down to the $15 to $20 range, then there are several more titles I want to pick up and get transcoded for my Apple TV - and which might justify the cost of buying AnyDVD HD.

7. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks again cave man. Personally though, I'm not quite interested in converting movies. Also, I actually don't have a macbook pro yet, I'm waiting on the update that should be coming in the next month or two, but being able to watch blu-ray movies on my next computer is very high on the "must have" list.

Also, for anyone interested I found this on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA2yVh_vSdI

Basically, its someone playing a blu-ray movie on a macbook pro under windows vista. He wasn't too clear on what exactly was going on though.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Ah - I misinterpreted what you were asking. Yes, AnyDVD HD will permit you to play Blu-Ray discs from a BR-ROM drive connected to a Mac as it removes HDCP upon disc mounting. Of course, you have to do it from Windows (and probably Boot Camp; not Parallels or Fusion) and you need Blu-Ray player software (my drive came with such software).

The question is, though, do you need AnyDVD HD for a MacBook? If Apple has not disabled the HDCP compliance of the video card in the MBP, then the answer should be 'no', provided your display/TV is compliant as well. I've been meaning to test this, but have not had time to do so.

9. zerohp macrumors member

My Macbook Pro does HDCP just fine while booted into XP. They didn't disable anything in the video chip.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You might want to correct that.

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's good to know. I wonder if my Mini can as well. Might have to try that.

Oops. :eek: Nice catch (and fixed).