A year from now, which iPhone 4S will have the best resale value?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnkbro, Oct 6, 2011.

1. dnkbro macrumors regular

I'm a 32GB iPhone 3Gs owner. Although I feel extremely underwhelmed with the announcement of the new iPhone 4S, I'm biting the bullet and preordering it tonight (my 3Gs is slow and the battery is terrible). I plan on keeping the iPhone 4S for less than a year when the (hopefully redesigned) next-generation is announced. Which iPhone 4S will hold the best resale value? I don't mean the highest resale value (that would obviously be the 64Gb version). Which one would be the best choice for me given these circumstances?

PS. I still plan on using my 32Gb 3Gs as my "ipod" where I will store the bulk of my music so storage capacity for the 4S that I purchase isn't a huge deal.

2. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I would say the White 16gb will be the one you can sell the easiest because of the White not being as bought as Black and the storage is the most commonly bought I think.

3. lilo777 macrumors 603

Are you sure anybody will be interested in iPhones in one year? It looks like Samsung Nexus Prime is all the rage these days. Never consider the phone to be an "investment". It's a tool. You either can afford it or not.

4. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

White not being as bought as black? Don't you think some of that had to do with the white iPhone 4 being delayed for so long?

5. Millionin20s macrumors regular

Best resale value? White 64 GB on AT&T.

White, because black is the more "regular" color.
    64 GB since it has the largest capacity.
    AT&T because unlike with Sprint/Verizon, swapping a phone for cash would be as simple as removing a SIM card and exchanging funds.

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

First off, the condition of the phone is what matters the most.

Second, the 64GB model will have the most resale value, for obvious reasons.

Third, I think the White will have more (only slightly) resale value than its black version, just because it is 'different'.

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yes! I would like to see the numbers on the Black/White sales but I don't think they are available. I'm just guessing that the Black will outsell the White.

8. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think the 64GB version will the be best "value."

I buy the 64GB version for $400. I sell it at X dollars a year later.

I buy the 32GB version for $300. I sell it at Y dollars a year later.

I buy the 16GB version for $200. I sell it at Z dollars a year later.

Obviously the 64GB version will resell for more but what if I could make more "profit" or more on my return by buying a smaller capacity one and getting "more" in terms of profit for it.

9. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

If you take the economic climate into consideration the 16gb will be the most sought after model. If you're buying second hand goods people generally don't have the money for new products. The economy will be worse in a years time so the model that costs less will sell the most.

10. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

This. I think the White 16GB would have the most value. If iCloud works the way it's supposed to not sure how much music I will actually store ON my phone. My 32GB iPhone 4 is full, I thought about getting a 64, but I will get a 324S and see next year how much space I actually need.

11. neilah1 macrumors newbie

neilah1

This is the clearest thinking I've heard in awhile. Thanks lorax3 and dnkbro.