A Year in the Life

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ladybug, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

A year in the life ...my switcher experience

It was a year in April that I made the switch to Apple. I initially purchased a 20 inch 2ghz CD Intel iMac with 2gigs ram, 256mb video card, with a 500gig hard drive. I have to say its been a great year overall.

The transition from Windows to OSX was an easy one. While I still use Windows via Boot Camp for gaming, virtually everything else is done in OSX. There isn't a thing I miss about Windows. Gone are the days of endless spyware removal, viruses, trojans etc. My computer time is put to much better use these days. I use my computer mainly for internet, email, Photoshop, Painter IX, music and occasionally, movies.

All the worry and hassle of maintaining a Windows box is gone. If I want to order something online now, I just do. I don't worry about whether my computer is currently secure because I know Apple takes care of all of that with updates, and I don't have to worry about all the nasties anymore.

OSX was very easy to learn. The hardest thing for me was unlearning my old Windows habits and adapting to a much easier, more intuitive way of doing things. I sometimes found myself trying to do things the hard way. I don't worry so much about where my stuff gets stored anymore..its on there, easy to find and thats all that matters. Did I mention how quiet this computer is? This in itself makes the whole experience worth it to me.

Overall its been a great experience and I encourage anyone sitting on the fence about whether to make the switch or not, to just do it. You will not regret it.

At first I worried about the hardware perhaps not being as current as things are on the PC side...could a Mac keep up with my ever growing demand for more speed, would I be able to play games, etc...While my current setup is in no way top of the line, it is fast. I never find myself sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting on things to open or finish processing. Computers these days are near instant, and the slowest denominator on any computer is still the user, and always will be.

Don't worry about whether you can buy a faster computer next week or next year even. Evaluate what your needs are today and just go for it. There will always be updates in technology and unless you're rich, you won't be able to keep up anyway. Enjoy what is available today and let tomorrow take care of itself.

I just pulled the trigger on my second Mac today. I'm going mobile this time around with a middle of the line white Macbook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory 120GB hard drive ,Double-layer SuperDrive. I will update the memory to 2GB and start enjoying the freedom of mobile computing around the house / patio, and for occasional trips. I'll do a review on the Macbook when I get it. Until then thanks for hanging in there and reading all this. :)

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Your story is great, but I take issue with this:

"All the worry and hassle of maintaining a Windows box is gone. If I want to order something online now, I just do. I don't worry about whether my computer is currently secure because I know Apple takes care of all of that with updates, and I don't have to worry about all the nasties anymore."

Do not become complacent and assume you are secure. That will be the downfall of the Mac Community. You should still:

Pay attention to where you go on the net.
    Pay attention to what you download (reputable sources, etc).
    A firewall (built in one is good of course).

My point is don't assume you are secure, Apple is capable of faults like everyone else. Don't assume someone is taking care of you, you still have to take your own precautions. Use passwords and protect your information. Someone who knows you well could strike, you know? Someone who is that close can get your data anyhow, even load a keylogger on your computer and have the data transmitted to their email.

If you and people like you stay complacent in your perceived security that makes attack all the more devastating if someone ever decides to really attack the Mac platform.

I just wanted to say that, as that particular sentence bothered me a little. Regardless, I am glad you enjoy the Mac, I myself would never dream of going back. Cheers :apple:

3. Ladybug thread starter macrumors 65816

Ladybug

No offense taken.. and I'm by no means complacent. I do watch where and what I do on the net. I realize you always have to be on your toes about what you do online, so perhaps I should have worded that better. Thanks for caring.

Also..I do run a firewall in addition to my router. Great advice for all us though.

4. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

does os x have a built in firewall??
    what firewall would someone recommend?

5. Ladybug thread starter macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Yes it does. If you click on System Preferences then Sharing, you'll see the Firewall tab. Since I have a router already, I find the inbuilt firewall sufficient for my needs. Someone else might be able to recommend an alternative.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I hope I didn't sound mean. That sentence just bothered me as I want the Mac community to stay safe. I am glad you look out for yourself as we all should, we just have to do it a little less than the other guys and gals :D :apple:

7. Ladybug thread starter macrumors 65816

Ladybug

No, not mean at all. No offense taken. We all need to be careful and not become complacent as you said. Good advice :)