Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Hi! I once owned an Apple Watch a year ago on OS1. How is the Apple Watch now, as it's now OS2.something? I've already read what OS2 brings but have there been any major updates since it launched?

I'm considering picking one up again because OS3 sounds pretty neat.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
What did you want it to do a year ago? Why didn't you keep it? That will be able to help us tell you if it's worth it to you now, or you're just not meant for an Apple watch.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
What did you want it to do a year ago? Why didn't you keep it? That will be able to help us tell you if it's worth it to you now, or you're just not meant for an Apple watch.

At the the time I was working from home so didn't really need anything beyond what my Pebble offered. Now I'm spending much more time travelling and working with a bunch of different groups so I need to be in touch more consistently, something I found the Apple Watch was really good at. Plus back then there weren't any 'real' 3rd party apps so that interests me now. I tried a WatchOS 2 beta but obviously there weren't many 3rd party apps during that time either!

I'd be getting one to replace my iPod shuffle, Nike Fuelband, and Pebble. (Though not for swimming!). So a bit of music, fitness tracking, communication stuff, nightstand mode to replace my aging alarm clock. I'm a lot more active now with climbing, running, swimming, archery, more hiking so it should come in handy.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I bought mine about a year ago, and I think both the watch OS and many third party apps have improved dramatically since then. The third party apps I use regularly include Carrot Weather, Fantastical 2 (calendar), Bring (groceries), Due (reminders), Outliner Pro, Onenote, TickTick (tasks), Slack (communications). I also use the native timers, alarms, Siri, etc. I really like nightstand mode, and my wife appreciates it as well. After my initial alarm I will put the watch on so the snooze alarm is silent. I like the music controls and the ability to control our smart lights.

Every update has brought improvements, not just the big releases. Compared to one year ago my watch feels faster and more reliable. Hey Siri works much more consistently (problems are rare for me now). Not all third party apps are created equal, but the good ones open and refresh in two or three seconds for me, and I often get the info I need from complications. I'm looking forward to the improvements in Watch OS3, but I feel like we have already seen huge improvements in the last year. I don't know if I'd risk swimming with one, but many people do.

Sean

Reactions: ladytonya

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I don't think there's any difference much really. OS3 might push it to another level though. Can't wait.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
It hasn't replaced my iPod shuffle only because I'm not ready to make the leap to recharging earphones.

Everything else the AW does, though, keeps it on my wrist. My other watches sit idle most of the time.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I just charged mine back up in anticipation of trying out OS3. I primarily bought mine to utilize running apps, but they've been very 50/50, slow, and non-responsive.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I bought one, but most the apps I use crash. There was also some weird problem trying to set it up too, the whole screen became really unresponsive (at the code enter screen it'd update every 15 seconds).

But fitness is what I mostly got it for so I'm gonna give that a go running tonight or tomorrow.

I'm still torn on keeping it though. I went for the black stainless steel one, with the black sports band because that's what I had last time. But now I'm more interested in those cheaper aluminium ones.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
watchOS 3 is really great...makes the watch much more useful when you can actually get things done on it.
It does look really neat. I don't like using the big side button to bring up my contacts, so using it for an app dock is really useful for me. And the breathe app too!

My concerns now are;
-Will Apple Watch 2 have more sensors? Is the Breathe app a sign of blood oxygen sensor? I hope it adds a UV sensor like the Microsoft Band. Obviously it will have huge improvements but will it arrive this year or not? That uncertainty puts me off as it feels like I've bought one at the end of this generation.

Ok I guess that's it for now!

I do love nightstand mode. I like that I can just wake it up by tapping the bedside table, such a simple and useful feature!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Just a little update :)
I decided on taking the SS one back. It's lovely but I just couldn't justify keeping it. My plan was to just wait for the AW2 - however long that'd be. But on my way to the Apple Store I thought I'd have a look at the sports watch model instead. Before I flagged an apple store worker down I did some researching on the differences between them, then tried one on and decided to stick with that. So I got a black aluminium model, and then bought a load of 3rd party straps off eBay, heh.

I really prefer the Sport model. It doesn't feel much lighter when holding it, but wearing it is a different story! It's so light! And the display is phenomenal, something wasn't quite right with the sapphire lens. There's a slight ghosting and bloom, and the way the colour shifts when you angle it is really offputting. Conversely on the Sport model the screen looks like its sat right ontop of the display. It also seems slightly more responsive. But I might pick up a cover or something to prevent any damage.

So I think I'll be sticking with this one now. I bought a load of complimentary apps like Dark Sky, and some text adventure games, as well as a load of straps just to get stuck in with it.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Just a little update :)
I decided on taking the SS one back. It's lovely but I just couldn't justify keeping it. My plan was to just wait for the AW2 - however long that'd be. But on my way to the Apple Store I thought I'd have a look at the sports watch model instead. Before I flagged an apple store worker down I did some researching on the differences between them, then tried one on and decided to stick with that. So I got a black aluminium model, and then bought a load of 3rd party straps off eBay, heh.

I really prefer the Sport model. It doesn't feel much lighter when holding it, but wearing it is a different story! It's so light! And the display is phenomenal, something wasn't quite right with the sapphire lens. There's a slight ghosting and bloom, and the way the colour shifts when you angle it is really offputting. Conversely on the Sport model the screen looks like its sat right ontop of the display. It also seems slightly more responsive. But I might pick up a cover or something to prevent any damage.

So I think I'll be sticking with this one now. I bought a load of complimentary apps like Dark Sky, and some text adventure games, as well as a load of straps just to get stuck in with it.

There was a period of time when I wished I had splurged on the SS. I tried one on and it was indeed beautiful, but all of the Apple Watches and Sports are nice looking in my opinion. I'm not a fan of gold, so fortunately I have no desire to own the Edition :)

I bought my silver/aluminum AWS almost exactly one year ago, and it has held up really well. The only blemish is a barely visible scratch on the power/contacts button of all places. I too bought some third party straps, so by rotating several of those all the straps are still in good shape as well. I usually wear it with either a black leather loop knockoff or a brown leather strap that has matching brushed silver lugs and buckle.

I keep saying that maybe I will get the SS when the AW2 comes out, but then again maybe I will just stick with the Sport. Of course if the advantages of upgrading are minimal, maybe I will save my money for the AW3! When Watch OS3 comes out, the old AW1 will feel new anyway.

Sean

Reactions: ladytonya

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I kept thinking about selling mine, but I really want to try out the next version of the OS. I purchased mine primarily for running, but the applications have been pretty slow to respond for me, so I'm looking forward to trying the quicker OS when it is released.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I kept thinking about selling mine, but I really want to try out the next version of the OS. I purchased mine primarily for running, but the applications have been pretty slow to respond for me, so I'm looking forward to trying the quicker OS when it is released.
I agree. I don't heavily dislike my Apple Watch, but it sort of ended up being a disappointed for me in the fitness area. The more I've used it, the more I feel like Apple just didn't devote enough time on their own software. I've said it before, and I'll restate it. Apple is going to be waiting a LONG time before companies with stellar fitness software will be interested in playing ball with the Apple Watch. The money to be made is not in software. It's in hardware.

I firmly believe that apple should have focused on making the Apple Watch along the same lines as the iPod. It's just not an ideal app platform. Just my opinion...

Edit: I should say that it's not an ideal app platform RIGHT NOW.

Reactions: Suture

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
One more thought: I'm not sure why nobody seems to be talking about apple allowing developers to charge money for Apple Watch apps?? I'd be more than willing to pay a reasonable fee for functional and good apps, especially fitness ones.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
One more thought: I'm not sure why nobody seems to be talking about apple allowing developers to charge money for Apple Watch apps?? I'd be more than willing to pay a reasonable fee for functional and good apps, especially fitness ones.
What's the question?

I have a couple apps (just games) which only exist on the iPhone for the sake of loading their app onto the watch.

Are you talking about devs writing Watch-only apps and charging separately for them? It can be done now.

Or existing apps gaining an AW app and being able to charge extra?

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
It's not a question. It's an opinion. Watch apps need to become more than just useless or crappy add ons to iPhone apps.

I wasn't aware that developers could charge for the Apple Watch portion of their apps.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Almost 2 weeks in now and I'm sticking with it. Already ordered loads of cheap bands off eBay, the ones I tested the waters with were all really good quality. Not as good as Apple's for sure, but really damn close. Also good to get colours that Apple don't make, I really love the red leather loop band!

Can't wait for OS3 now and to finally get some useful function to that side button.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
I've had mine for about 6 months, I have it turned off sitting in a drawer. With third party apps not working, having to use siri for replys, dependant on the iphone so much, it's pretty much useless to me.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I've had mine for about 6 months, I have it turned off sitting in a drawer. With third party apps not working, having to use siri for replys, dependant on the iphone so much, it's pretty much useless to me.
I can see how it's not useful to a lot of people. If it wasn't for the fitness tracking I probably wouldn't bother with it.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

I'm contemplating selling mine as well. I went from wearing the watch all day to now just wearing it when I'm at work. I didn't even bother wearing it this past weekend. Like you, I'm going to wait until OS3 is introduced before I ultimately decide whether or not I'm going to keep or sell it.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
For those that are looking to sell, it seems like this is probably a bad time anyway. The watches are discounted everywhere. Picking one up used is cheap.

johnmccurdy

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2016

Where are you based? UK? I would be interested in buying that from you. Sorry if we aren't allowed to to do this....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.