A1 Perfect Browser

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by testcard, Jun 2, 2010.

1. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Just downloaded this today, and first impressions are favourable - quite fast and tabbed browsing is good. Anyone else playing? (takes cover as hordes of Atomic browser users take aim) :D

2. corriewf macrumors 6502a

So he updated for iPad version?

3. testcard thread starter macrumors 68030

testcard

4. WilliamG macrumors G3

This has the makings of an excellent browser. This is the first browser I've downloaded on the iPad, and it's definitely a step in the right direction.

However, there is a major flaw with it:

The more tabs you have open, the more checkerboard pattern you get when scrolling down pages. With 3 or 4 tabs open, scrolling down pages becomes just awful, to the point of my calling it unusable. Just not fun.

Also, for a browser that touts multitouch, I expected more than just two-finger swipes to switch tabs. Where's the 3-finger swipes to go back and forward pages?

Oh well. Back to Safari!

5. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Have the same problem with Atomic, BUT it beats pages reloading in Safari. It's a ram issue and not a browser issue.

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

I don't think it does beat reloading tabs. I'd rather have, for the most part, tabs that reload + a super smooth browsing experience over tabs that don't reload + awful scrolling within pages.

Different strokes, I guess...

7. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

So, opinions? Is it better than Atomic Broswer?

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Will it sync Xmarks and any 1Password integration?

9. Spuddle macrumors newbie

I like the look and feel of this..shame there's no bookmarks bar,and it really needs adblock for me to even consider using it as my default browser.

10. iserian macrumors 6502

Anyone using both A1 and Atomic to compare - ?

11. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I checked it out...didn't really see the big deal with it. But for me, the multi-touch gestures of Atomic are really it's selling feature and the reason why I choose it above all the others because aside from that, they are all basically the same thing.

12. pooryou macrumors 65816

Seem like a lot of shill reviews to me, from the screenshots the interface doesn't look to hot, and I don't believe the claims that it will never crash etc.

13. WilliamG macrumors G3

No, it really is quite a decent browser, and there are things it has that I wish Safari had, like... you know... real tabs!

14. pooryou macrumors 65816

I already have Atomic Browser, which isn't perfect by any means, but I don't see anything here to make me want to shell out $2 to check it out.

Oh btw the reviews I was referring to are on the iTunes Store, I didn't mean to refer to anyone here.

15. 1appleAday macrumors regular

How's that compared to atomic or icab? I have 3 browsers on my iPad already :rolleyes:

16. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

S'ok. You're not the only one :D

17. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I did a search, but I didn't find this: if these browsers are being delivered from the App Store, why can't we have Firefox? Anyone know? In the past Mozilla has said they couldn't do one because the OS is closed. Are the ones now available using Safari at their roots?

18. wok macrumors member

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but I'm at a loss as to why people are drawn to A1 (and Atomic) when personally I've been ridiculously impressed with iCab on the iPad. It has a really polished interface that's leaps and bounds ahead of any of the other 3rd party iPad/Phone browsers (though not quite as nice as mobile safari).

And its feature set makes me feel at home on the iPad (I'm a firefox user with just a handful of extensions).

Some favorites:

- Has a real tab bar (disable-able) and also has the option of a pop-over version of mobile safari's visual tab select

- It feels like it loses the cache of other tabs a lot less frequently per session than mobile safari.

- It has an incredible (optional) feature that will automatically open links in background tabs that are from a different domain than your current page. This works fantastically with google reader, as well as normal browsing.

- Can download (and cache) files and then open them in other apps.

- Has the ability to save bookmarks offline and also has limited 'plugin' support in the form of modules (think built in bookmarklets).

I originally found out about iCab through this great blog post at The Apple Blog which goes over the features more eloquently than what I just typed up :D.

I feel like iCab really should be the default go-to browser if someone wants something a bit more complex than mobile safari and not nearly as ugly as A1 or Atomic, I mean just compare these two interfaces:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. whynot83706 macrumors 6502

whynot83706

Does not look bad at all, i am going to buy it now just for tabs.

20. JulianL macrumors 65816

I agree. I love icabmobile and I think that the modules mechanism could become really interesting as a way to start opening up the closed nature of the built in Safari browser. Everything else about it is good too.

- Julian