a1048keyboard+water

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by only, Jan 9, 2009.

1. only macrumors regular

Ive.read.these.keyboards.arent.very.hardy.when.they.come.into.contact.with
    water.Obviously.Ive.lost.my.spacekey.among.other.ones.does.anyone.know.a.
    way.to.salvage.the.KB?

Its.been.drying.on.a.radiator.off.and.on.for.the.last.24.hours.and.still.broken.
    Approx.an.oz.of.water.hit.it.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The first step to attempting to fix any water damage to electronics is to immediately turn them off/unplug them and not use the for a few days while they dry out if they didn't already short out.

After that, the water can cause corrosion on the metal inside or even cause it to rust which will essentially kill it completely. Usually it will die because of it shorting out in which case that short can sometimes be transferred to the computer and potential damage that as well.

Sometimes, this corrosion can happen over time, which is why I love it when people used to come into my work and wonder why their laptop doesn't work and fail to mention they had spilled something on it. "Well, it happened a year ago and it worked fine after that, so it couldn't have been liquid damage!"

So, it's possible that it could start working after a few days, and possible it could then last for the next 2 minutes or 5 years, but there are never any guarentees in this situation, just luck.

3. DavyC412 macrumors member

just buy a new keyboard. your local computer shop should have USB boards for like 6 or 7 dollars.

4. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Just get a new keyboard, from the pictures I have seen that keyboard is really old, though it has a nice shape, you could look on Ebay for a new one of those, or just get the normal ones for few bucks

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Sure you could, but overcoming liquid damage to electronics? That's something to be proud of, since you feel so bad that you spilled something on it in the first place, buying a new one would just be admitting defeat!!

Also, new Mac keyboars can eaily run $40+. Doubtful that you could run to a store and pick up one for less than that unless it was Windows based, or otherwise an old, used Apple one.

6. DavyC412 macrumors member

yeah, they are "windows based" but its just a keyboard, so who really cares. i got a brand-spanking new logitech thats equivalent in functionality to the apple keyboard, with the home, volume, email buttons and all thar garbage that i dont use for 8 bucks canadian at my local computer shop. i think thats more worthwhile, personally, than agonizing over a damaged keyboard for a week to see if it fixes itself and.talk.like.this.the.rest.of.the.time.cause.the.space.key.doesnt.work.