Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
The A10 Fusion increased CPU and GPU by 40% and 50% compared to the A9 which in itself isn’t that great compared to the usual double increases we see from S models. But the A11 Bionic took an even smaller step at 25% and 30%. Is there any reason at all to even go with the iPhone 8 if you don’t care about wireless charging? It seems the iPhone 7 gives more bang for the buck (especially if you can get a used one with Apple Care off Craigslist or eBay at 2/3 the price of an 8).

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
I'm not sure thats really the case, and forgive me as I am talking out of my comfort zone with processors, but I understood that the multicore bionic chip had dedicated cores for certain process that used to be shared in the fusion. This frees up resources and increases efficiency.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Yeah, the TSMC 10nm process isn't too great. Expect bigger gains next year, 7nm is looking much better.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I disagree...

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 20.40.01.png

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
I think it feels meh because it’s overkill for current usage. We’ll see more difference when the apps take advantage of the extra horsepower.
Which seems to take a very long time. How many apps/games really take advantage of the CPU/GPU upgrades from a year ago?

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Which seems to take a very long time. How many apps/games really take advantage of the CPU/GPU upgrades from a year ago?

For basic tasks, not many. Battery-life improvements is how it'll manifest on the day-to-day uses.

The high performance cores'll only be utilized by games, image/video manipulation apps, maybe some complex calculation tools (AR, calculators, graphing, modelling, etc).

Reactions: blairian89

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA

There's still people with slower CPUs in older devices. More people will be upgrading to better devices next year. I already know of so many coworkers with 5S' and 6's that need battery replacements. They don't want battery replacements. They want that new, shiny.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
The A10 Fusion increased CPU and GPU by 40% and 50% compared to the A9 which in itself isn’t that great compared to the usual double increases we see from S models. But the A11 Bionic took an even smaller step at 25% and 30%. Is there any reason at all to even go with the iPhone 8 if you don’t care about wireless charging? It seems the iPhone 7 gives more bang for the buck (especially if you can get a used one with Apple Care off Craigslist or eBay at 2/3 the price of an 8).

Mate, I don't think you appreciate just how powerful these chips are or what those numbers mean....the A11 is an absolute beast of a chip.

Even the A9 is quite capable today, no app to date really stresses it. Not even high performance games or 4k video editing apps. The A9 can handle it all well.

The A11 is remarkable, and powerful on a whole other level from the A10 - the A10 can't even use all 4 cores together.

PS the iPhone 5 and it's A6 is still fine on iOS 10 for using the phone as a smartphone. In fact, it's more than enough power for any basic functionality.

Last edited:
Reactions: bnekic

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
The A11 is an amazing chip and it destroys the rest of the competition out there. Reality is that not many (if any) apps are really capable of using it to its' potential.

For most people, I would say that the A10 is more than enough power and overkill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.