A1181 Black MacBook 2.4 GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DrivetheGreen66, Dec 1, 2012.

1. DrivetheGreen66 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have recently been given a black MacBook without the hard drive. I got the new hard drive installed and got the retail snow leopard disk from Apple. So now with everything installed and working correctly I have a question.

2.4 GHz processor
    500 GB Seagate Hybrid HDD
    2 GB Ram

I already own Lion for my Aluminum Unibody Macbook but I'm not sure whether the black Macbook should be upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard.

What do you guys suggest? I'm on the fence just need some other views/opinions on the matter.

2. israelmunoz macrumors newbie

I much prefer clean installs, however, if you want to upgrade it, I believe (but might be wrong) that you go from SL to Lion to ML...

3. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Black MacBooks are limited to Lion either way. You should upgrade to Lion. Runs great on the Black MacBook I have lying around.

4. DrivetheGreen66 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know they are limited to Lion. But was wondering how much better Lion runs than Snow Leopard. Its been a while since I've ran Snow leopard. I have a 2008 Unibody Macbook that I upgraded to Lion but it has been upgraded to 8 GB of RAM. But I still haven't took the dive to Mountain Lion on the Aluminum Macbook.

So in summary I'm just looking for opinions about Lion vs. Snow Leopard as far as it being limited to 2 GB of Ram.

Additionally do you all think that my aluminum unibody should be upgraded to ML?

Thanks

5. israelmunoz macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up! I wasn't aware!

6. ubertome macrumors newbie

You know, you could just stick another 2GB of RAM in there.. But the OS only cares about 3GB at most. And in my opinion, you should upgrade as far as you can. What's there to lose?