A1226 (2.4ghz/c2) 15" MPB - Will not boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JButler1983, Oct 15, 2009.

1. JButler1983 macrumors newbie

JButler1983

I woke my 15" MBP a little bit ago to do some work.
    I opened Numbers (iWork '09) to work on a spreadsheet, however Numbers crashed, and kept

crashing subesquently with every open attempt.

Agitated, I opted to re-boot the MBP through a OS initiated reboot.
    MBP shutdown and went to reboot, however after boot tone and the grey screen with apple

appears, the pinwheel below the Apple logo just spins and spins with no progress onward.

I booted in verbose mode (cmd-v) and watched system commands fly by and then stop on a line

that noted:
    com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.launchhctl.System 2 "the system bootstrapper has crashed:

Bus Error"

Above that I get:

disk0s2: I/O Error
    0 [Level 3] [ReaUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] Errtype I] ErrNo 5] [IOType Read]

PBlkNum 24393] [FSLogMsgID 8214820961] [FSLogMsgOrder First]

0 [Level 3] [ReaUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [DevNode root_device] [MountPt /] [Path

/private/var/db/dyLd/dyLd_shared_cache_x86_64] FSLogMsgID 821482096] [FSLogMsgOrder Last]

I've already had the HD replaced in this thing once... I really would hate for it to come to

that...again...

I find this failure very disappointing as this error is very random and was un-provoked...

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Have you tried booting from the DVD and repairing the disk and permissions? That seems most logical right now before assuming it's HD failure.

And I know it's the standard procedure, but sometimes in a moment of panic, you forget the simplest things. :)

3. JButler1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

JButler1983

HD dead...

First off, Thank you for reading and responding to my post!

Yes, I did exactly what you mentioned after I did this post last night.
    Disk Utility reported errors with the disk and told me to repair, I attempted to repair the disk and then Disk Utility told me it cannot fix and to erase the HD and re-install.

So after erasing the HD, I then started a restore session from my Time Capsule. I left it going last night and it was over 10% when I went to sleep.
    When I awoke this morning, the computer was un-responsive with nothing on screen and the HD was making a repetitive "click-click-thud"

I'm confirming my suspicion that yet another HD has died on me and I will have to have replaced again... Maybe I will be lucky and my Apple store Genius Bar will actually have my drive in stock for same day repair... One can only hope...