a1278 820-2879-b unknown compoant

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elitetek, Jan 25, 2014.

1. elitetek macrumors member

Can anyone help me identify the burnt or damage component just left of the lvds connector. You can see a burnt missing solder pad in the picture? This was a liquid spill. I don't have the schematics and appreciate any help. Can this be purchased from digikey?

[​IMG]

2. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

3. elitetek thread starter macrumors member

MacBook Pro a1278 logic board 820-2879-b 2010 2.4ghz intel

Thanks

4. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

Look at this... I hope this helps. Don't mind the square red boxes.

Attached Files:

5. elitetek thread starter macrumors member

Thanks however The component in question is the square large black 4 pin package just left of the LVDS connector. The outer solder pad looks burnt. Please help

6. triplelucky macrumors regular

7. elitetek thread starter macrumors member

8. elitetek thread starter macrumors member

9. triplelucky macrumors regular

I have not used those substitutes. Possibly someone else will comment on the best one. Also if the pin is corroded from liquid but your original part is still good maybe you could just clean up the pin and re solder it.

10. elitetek thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Triplelucky. it seems that the pin is not even there. I cleaned the board using the ultra soinc. I will just wait until someone comments if the substitutes can be used.

11. elitetek, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

elitetek thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE:

SO I removed the corrosion off the pin as tripleluck recommend and resolder the pin. I am now getting 16.5V, from the pervious corroded pin4, pin 3 16.5v, pin 2 16.5v, pin 1 6.78v can anyone verify these values and if they are correct? I checked the same mosfet on the other side of the logic board and returned values of 16.5v on all 4 pins.I am getting a very dim green light still. I have also included a very interesting post for users with the same issue.

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/131485/Not+turning+on.+Charging+battery+and+have+volts+across+logicboard

12. elitetek thread starter macrumors member

13. elitetek thread starter macrumors member

is this the correct value that I should be getting from this device?

-Thanks
    [​IMG]

14. triplelucky macrumors regular

If you are working through problems that you are not familiar with and are not simple and apparent issues its always a good idea to obtain the schematics and also the board view for the logic board you are working with.
    The schematics alone are little good without the board view to locate the components on the logic board.

With a little searching you can find these for less than $5 and will save you countless hours of prodding around in the unknown.

The board viewer is a windows only program but will run well on a Mac if used in a wine wrapper if OS X is your only OS on the Mac.

15. elitetek thread starter macrumors member