Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8gatzby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I have a client with a malfunctioning RAM housing in his A1278 MBP. The RAM does not click/lock in, and becomes unseated over time, requiring a reseat and rinse/repeat. The RAM housing appears to be a screw on affair but I cannot find this piece anywhere on the internet. Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
Although they have screws on it I expect that they are for extra security. They are also soldered on, so not that simple to replace.

Barney

triplelucky

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Its not economically possible to replace the ram slots. They are soldered into the logic board.

Also do not try to bend the thin arm that makes contact with the ram. It is brittle and will break off.

What you can do is to insert the ram, then find a small piece of dense foam material and carefully fit it in between the arm that holds the ram and the side of the frame where that screw is.

That will put just little extra pressure on the arm and keep the ram from coming out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.