Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paraicf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2021
Hi my A1312 will boot up and get to login in screen when I enter password the machine will just power off like power was turned off and then it will reboot to login screen and do the same again. I love the machine for video editing so would like to get it going again...any ideas Guys please!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi my A1312 will boot up and get to login in screen when I enter password the machine will just power off like power was turned off and then it will reboot to login screen and do the same again. I love the machine for video editing so would like to get it going again...any ideas Guys please!

1. Replace the GPU if you can; or
2. Replace the more-than-10-year-old iMac.

Paraicf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2021
1. Replace the GPU if you can; or
2. Replace the more-than-10-year-old iMac.
Yeah, I'm thinking I might have to replace alright which is a shame as it had been running great, if I can get my hands on a gpu I'll swap out but I replaced it about 18 months ago but who's to say that wasn't 10yo too!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Yeah, I'm thinking I might have to replace alright which is a shame as it had been running great, if I can get my hands on a gpu I'll swap out but I replaced it about 18 months ago but who's to say that wasn't 10yo too!

Almost all of the GPU you can find on the market were salvaged from old/dead iMac. I wouldn't bet on them.
Try a Quadro K610 or K1100m if you can find one cheaply. These cards come from old workstation laptop, and they has much lower TPD, therefore may last longer.

USB3foriMac

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2020
Singapore
When the GPU is dead, normally the machine does not make it to the login screen.
I'd suggest to do the following:
- insert a blank USB thumb drive, ~ 16GB
- go into "Internet recovery", and re-install macOS onto the thumb drive. That way, you don't need to re-install your existing machine, and you can get to the original state by simply unplugging the thumb drive.
- boot from the thumb drive.

If this works, it is simply a software issue. If this also not works, it will be something from the hardware.

You could also run Apple Diagnostic Software (Apple ASD145A for 2011 iMac). I find this more complex than installing onto a thumb drive.
The key combinations for internet recovery and 'boot from other disk' can be found in the web.

Paraicf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2021
Almost all of the GPU you can find on the market were salvaged from old/dead iMac. I wouldn't bet on them.
Try a Quadro K610 or K1100m if you can find one cheaply. These cards come from old workstation laptop, and they has much lower TPD, therefore may last longer.
Thanks for the info, I was looking at the K4100M looks like it should work but need to fine out if it's a plug and play upgrade, I'm running El Capitan and most seem to mention Big Sur not sure about upgrading that...

Paraicf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2021
When the GPU is dead, normally the machine does not make it to the login screen.
I'd suggest to do the following:
- insert a blank USB thumb drive, ~ 16GB
- go into "Internet recovery", and re-install macOS onto the thumb drive. That way, you don't need to re-install your existing machine, and you can get to the original state by simply unplugging the thumb drive.
- boot from the thumb drive.

If this works, it is simply a software issue. If this also not works, it will be something from the hardware.

You could also run Apple Diagnostic Software (Apple ASD145A for 2011 iMac). I find this more complex than installing onto a thumb drive.
The key combinations for internet recovery and 'boot from other disk' can be found in the web.
Thanks Man, I'll give it a try during the week, FYI when I boot into Safe mode the machine runs for a little longer but still just goes blank and reboots, thought it may have been HDD problem but I mirrored hd to SSD and same thing. Thanks.

Paraicf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2021
Update.. I carried out the old "Shake N Bake" and what u know....it worked, but for how long? I have a replacement card ordered so will use the baked one for a while and see what happens🤞 I baked at about 210 for a good 25 minutes, I treated the edges of the gpu with some flux hoping that would run in around the solder under chip.
Thanks Guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.