A1342 booting REALLY Slow

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GelleCC, Aug 28, 2012.

1. GelleCC macrumors regular

GelleCC

I know there are a couple of threads on this topic but I have not seen one that fits my problem.

TL;DR Macbook a1342 running slow. Apple said it was RAM. I tested an external drive with SL and Lion. Worked fine. Took back to Apple, ran AHT, everything was fine (they said it was OS/software issue). Upgraded to Lion from Safe Mode; problem not solved. How to fix without losing data? END TL;DR

My friends macbook (a1342 on OSX 10.6.x with 2gb ram) was booting super slow and when it eventually would fully boot, all the applications would take forever to run (especially chrome). She took it to Apple who said it was the RAM. But when I got it, I had Snow Leopard AND Lion on an external HDD (to which her computer booted to with no problems and loaded apps with no problem). At this point I was pretty sure it wasn't the RAM and instead, the HDD.

We took it back to Apple and had them run the Apple Hardware Test. It came back negative - everything was perfectly fine and the employee concluded it was the OS. (So I no longer thought it was the HDD - which, by the way, was making NO noises or doing any of the "failing hdd" symptoms).

(Keep in mind, her computer is barely booting). I finally managed to boot it into safe mode (restart holding shift) and it was going much faster but still slower than normal. I upgraded her to Lion (from safe mode) and figured if it was the OS (or a software problem), this would surely fix it. No avail. It was still running slow. I think Chrome may have had something to do with it, but the problem was really with every application (either never opening/not responding). I deleted Chrome and things got only marginally better. I installed ONYX and let that do it's thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We are also trying to save all of her important information/files. I'm almost 100% that a clean install of SL or Lion would solve the problem, but we'd lose all the info. I can barely boot into the computer w/o safe mode, so I can't run a time machine back up (and super duper kept freezing when I tried to copy it that way). Plus, even with a clean install and transferring data from a backup, if it's some sort of software problem, wouldn't the problem be transferred as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

Couple of updates:

We've repaired the permissions (using terminal). Spotlight wasn't indexing (taking around 23 hours). So, we used terminal to restart spotlight (sudo mdutil -E /). We got spotlight to index and things were speeding up a bit(Mdworker was taking a lot of processes up in activity monitor). We were able to install all of the updates from Lion but now things are running slow again. Thanks in advance.

3. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

More updates!

Well, I had originally suspected that it was the HDD or logic board. After taking it to Apple (1st time, they said the ram was the culprit (no tests were done), second time, they ran AHT and everything came back fine), I did some more tests. I had mentioned in an earlier post that my HDD when plugged in worked fine. Apple said it must be the OS.

I took the computer home and tinkered. Looked on the console and found a whole lot of input/output errors. Used Carbon Copy Cloner to make a copy of the HDD and that came back with more IO errors. Used Time Machine as a back up instead. Downloaded "SMART Utility" to test the HDD and it came back FAILED. When the "long" test was ran, it came back at about 80%.

Ordered a new HDD, installed it, migrated the data from the backup, and things worked flawlessly. Friend wanted to upgrade the RAM anyway, so now she's got a macbook A1342 (white unibody) with 4gb of Ram and upgraded HDD. Google Chrome was still having some errors (assuming it was from writing to the bad part of the HDD) and COMPLETELY removed ALL chrome data (Option + "go" in finder to the hidden "library" and removing all chrome data). Reinstalled it and it worked fine.

That is all the updates I have just in case anyone else has some similar problems. CHECK CONSOLE FIRST - if I hadn't been in the process of moving and working full time, it would have been the first thing I did!