Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VVictor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
london
Notebook freezes 5-20 minutes after restart.
How it looks like: Cursor in state of rolling colour circle, you can move it on the screen, but there is no way to stop it except hard reset (5 seconds at power button).
Mac OS X test shows no errors of SSD, Apple Hardware test also does not find any error (repeated test many times).
What is interesting: when I installed Mac OS to external USB Stick and started system from it, system works without freezing.
First idea to change SSD, but there are no errors in it according to Apple Hardware Test and Disk Utility.
Any similar cases or idea how to solve it?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Hi,

When booting off of the USB, are there any other noticeable problems besides the system locking up? Graphical tearing, stuttering, etc?

If it's a combination of issues involving different hardware, it could be the logic board. If everything runs smooth off of that USB, it is likely to be your install of OS X or the drive itself. If you haven't already, try installing a fresh copy of OS X on your internal using that USB drive. If it doesn't help, I would look into physically replacing the drive.

I hope this helps.

VVictor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
london
First of all when it is booting off of the USB there are no problems at all (no system lockups ect.)

I installed same OS X to drive and to USB.

I also think that it is more probable to be SSD, but also smaller probability of controller at logic board, which works with SSD.

Can you advise me software, which i can use to test SSD? When i boot from USB i can use this software for diagnostics

VVictor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
london
Fixed. It was SSD! Bought another one and no freezings any more. Hopefully it will be useful case for others.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Fixed. It was SSD! Bought another one and no freezings any more. Hopefully it will be useful case for others.

I'm sorry that I never saw your response. I forget that I reply to threads sometimes, and only have notifications for if I get quoted. In any case, I am glad that you got the issues worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.