A2DP Bluetooth- car questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trouser Cough, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Trouser Cough macrumors member

Trouser Cough

Crowded Busses, Cramped Elevators, Taco Bell
    Hey, I'm about to get a new head unit for my ride, was wondering if anyone has any insight into the a2dp support on the ip4. Specifically, does it output all audio (driving directions, 3rd party radio apps like TWiT.tv/pandora, etc) or is it just iPod audio?

Thanks!

2. The LPT macrumors regular

On my pioneer car stereo, I just switch the input to bluetooth audio and all sound except for phone calls come through that channel. Lock sounds and all.

3. Trouser Cough thread starter macrumors member

Trouser Cough

4. The LPT macrumors regular

I can't remember the model number off the top of my head but i think it's the deh-7900bt

5. jutte64 macrumors regular

does your connect to you pioneer head unit everytime or do you have to manually connect it everytime you turn your vehicle on?

6. The LPT macrumors regular

there's an option on the stereo to register the iphone as a paired device. So everytime I get in my car it connects automatically. Providing that I have my bluetooth turned on my phone. It connects to it twice. Once for the phone part and once for the bluetooth audio.

7. jutte64 macrumors regular

yeah i have it paired to my head unit. the phone part connects everytime no problem but the BT audio does not i have to go in and manually connect every time through the setting on my HU and iP4

It worked just fine on my 3g untill i updated to 4.0 and then it stopped connecting automatically and never has on my ip4

8. The LPT macrumors regular

have you tried just switching to the bluetooth audio input on the head unit and start playing music on your phone? It should connect at that point.

9. jutte64 macrumors regular

just cleared the bluetooth info on the radio and in the phone. reconnected them, turned the radio and phone both off and back on. the phone part connects automatically like always. switch over to bluetooth audio and start up the ipod and nothing happens. the icon on the radio flashes like its trying to connect but it just say no connection and the music keeps playing from the iphone speaker.... so i dont know what it is.. like i said before it all worked flawlessly before 4.0 came out.

10. Trouser Cough thread starter macrumors member

Trouser Cough

Which HU are you using? Thinking about this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Xplod+52W+x+4+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B-/Satellite+Radio-/HD-Ready+In-Dash+CD+Deck/9764393.p?id=1218169468156&skuId=9764393

11. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have a Sony unit similar to the one pictured. Got it for $188 @ Wal-Mart.

Works great with my iP4, pairs automatically, plays all sounds (iPod, navigation directions, Pandora, etc) come thru if set to "BT Audio", and the unit switches to "BT Phone" mode automatically when a call comes in. (has a built-in mic of reasonable quality)

I did have the iP4 and Sony get a little weird once, (stopped auto-pairing) so I selected "Forget this Device" on the iPhone, re-paired, and all went back to normal.

12. jutte64 macrumors regular

i have a pioneer deh-7000bt or something like that lol, i know its the 7000bt model

13. jutte64 macrumors regular

yeah i have done the "forget this device" a number of times and still no change. the phone part works perfectly for me, connects automatically and switches over flawlessly when i recieve and make a call, but the bt audio wont connect unless i go through the settings on my phone and the radio to get them to connect to each other. does the same thing on both my 3g and ip4 its rather annoying!

14. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Are both your 3G and iP4 running 4.X?

My wife's iP4 is on 4.2.1 and mine is on 4.1(JB), both running BT well on the Sony and a Kensington LiquidAux (BT adapter).

I'm not super knowledgeable about A2DP or Pioneer head units, but maybe try to find a non-4.X iPhone to test could help.

Also, you may try disconnecting the harness (or hitting the reset button if the Pioneer has one) to get the head unit to reset. You'll lose all your preset stations and such, but it might be worth a try.

15. Trouser Cough thread starter macrumors member

Trouser Cough

cool! Found it for $100 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEX-BT2800-Receiver-Player-Bluetooth/dp/B0032FOJPC/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt
    Think I'll buy there and have someone local install it

16. TruckdriverSean, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Here's the unit I picked up:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=14262179

The only difference I can see is that the MEX-BT38UW has a built-in USB port for iPod control/charging and USB thumbdrive use. (a poor man's audio harddrive ;) )

To be honest though, I think "built-in" iPod control using knobs and buttons really sucks (compared to the iPhone's touchscreen) and the display is too small for easy thumbdrive use as well.

So that may be a $100 well saved.

17. jutte64 macrumors regular

yeah my 3g worked just fine with it was running 3.x but as soon as i went to 4.x it started not working. i have since 4.x came out pulled the radio from one vehicle, sold that vehicle and bought a new one and installed it in the new one, so it has been rest, was out of a vehicle all together for about two months. still no luck. just did a restore as new on my 3g last night and still no luck. dont know what else to do lucky for me the radio does have a usb cable out the back so i can plug my phone in that way and listen to it easily but having the bt actually work was so nice for short trips!