Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
do you guys know if the iPhone will support A2DP anytime soon? I got an fm transmitter that has this function and it won't put calls through the fm transmitter but of will transmit music. Am I destined to use speaker phone??

apheonixboy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
Eagle Pass
Just use an Aux cable

I use my Iphone to hear music thruogh my car because FM transmitions arnt enough when it comes to juicy crisp quality. Also, when im Jamming out to my music and recieve a call, the music slowly fades away and the call goes through. I hear them through my speakers and i just talk like normal because the phone is pretty close to the steering wheel. So I have no trouble at all. :apple:

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I have no idea what you are trying to say? Are you tryingto tell me to listen to my iPhone in my car through the little speakers? If so, no way.

I am trying to figure out why my fm transmitter isn't putting my calls through the speakers. And if/when iPhone will support A2DP

manchoi44

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I don't think Apple will implement A2DP anytime soon (as it's def. not one of the things that we've been hearing about). But, it it's any consolation, my old WM6.1 device didn't support A2DP stereo bluetooth out of the box, but I was able to fix that with a software update...

BTW, what kind of an FM transmitter are you using that also offers A2DP? Does the FM transmitter also do Bluetooth? Is it equipped with a mic?

If that's the case, maybe you have to sync the FM transmitter to the iPhone via bluetooth as well?

stevin

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I hope so but I doubt it. I purchased a a2dp bluetooth dock connector so I could use it with stereo bluetooth headphones. It drains battery and isn't an ideal solution, but I have a feeling we wont see official a2dp any time soon if ever.

I wanted it on the first gen iphone and it was capable of it. Had apple wanted to enable it I think they would have done so by now :(

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
Yes. i am using this fm trasmitter and it does have the microphone built in,

fm transmitter for ipod/iphone

I THOUGHT that it would work great with my iphone because well, it specifically says iPhone on the description, and it comes from a rather reputable company.

Let me tell you now that i have NEVER used a bluetooth ANYTHING so i dont really know how to set one up.

But i can read instructions, and i am confused by those instructions. It says to hold down the bluetooth button and dial 000 when the bluetooth beeps twice, but everytime i hold down the button, it starts to play my music..

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
I wanted it on the first gen iphone and it was capable of it. Had apple wanted to enable it I think they would have done so by now :(

You're quite right. The software they licensed for the BT chip in the phone came as a bundle, with a full list of 2.0 features. Apple crippled it on purpose.

14 months to flick the switch on software they've already purchased, and it hasn't been done, means there's a reason.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
ok.. so its not A2DP, but it supports HSP & HPF.. is this compatable with the iphone? I only bought it because it SAID iphone on the description and figured i could figure it out with the instructions.. no so> the instructions are AWFUL

it says hold down bluetooth button for 6 seconds until you get a double beep.
*it does that
then its enter 0000 pin code.
* where and how do i enter a pin code, dialing to doesnt do anything other than get me an operator warning.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
ok. apparently i'm only HALF idiot. I found the bluetooth setting on my phone, turned it on, and then put in the pin. It now says that I am paired with my iLuv 730.. But thats it. Nothing happens through the unit.

Any suggestions? I dont really GET what is happening here

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, I think what you are trying to do is pair the phone with the device. (that's what its called, "pairing")

Do the holding the button thing with the transmitter ("it says hold down bluetooth button for 6 seconds until you get a double beep.")

Then, on your phone:
Settings -> General -> Bluetooth -> make sure the bluetooth is turned on. Then it will start searching for devices. When you see the transmitter pop up in the list tap it. This is where you will enter that pass key.

For more information see: iPhone_Users_Guide.PDF

Hope this helps!!!

EDIT: Haha, you figured it out while I was typing this. :eek:

Now, try to make a phone call. When you dial the number and hit send a list should pop up that gives the option of talking through speaker phone, the iPhone itself, or the bluetooth device. If that isn't happening, then I don't know what to do :)

manchoi44

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
You'll have to enter the "0000" passcode (that's the default passcode for most bluetooth devices) in your Bluetooth settings on the iphone.

So here's what to do:

Home (on your iphone) --> 'settings' --> 'General' --> 'Bluetooth' --> Click to turn Bluetooth on --> Then hold the bluetooth button on your FM transmitter thingy until it beeps... that will put the transmitter into "discovery mode" meaning that it will be discoverable by other bluetooth devices in the vicinity (in this case your iphone).

Once your iPhone and the FM transmitter "see" each other, you should see the transmitter appear as a device in your iphone's bluetooth menu. Click on your device's name (I have no clue what that would be) and then it will ask you for the passcode. That's when you enter in "0000". You should be golden from there. (Well, that's how it worked out in my head anyway)

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
ok. this is ridiculous. All i get is the normal menu when i go to make a call. I dialed the phone number and the normal Mute, Speaker, Add, Remove, ect comes up.. NOTHING about bluetooth.. but in the settings, it shows the iluv as "paired"

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
ok. this is ridiculous. All i get is the normal menu when i go to make a call. I dialed the phone number and the normal Mute, Speaker, Add, Remove, ect comes up.. NOTHING about bluetooth.. but in the settings, it shows the iluv as "paired"

Without seeng the device manual myself I really can't offer anymore advice... Sorry!

You could try unpairing and re-pairingit at again, maybe it wasn't happy with the first go around.

Good luck!

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
alright.. well this thing is definitely getting returned.

I sat in the car and unpaired and paired it about 10 times. The first time i did it it worked on the first phone call. WOO HOO.. but the thing wasn't docked, it was in my hand. So then i didnt mess with ANYTHING, i just put it in the dock, the little bluetooth symbol was showing, and the bluetooth thing didn't show up like the first time..

SO tried to repair again, and again.. in the dock, outta the dock.. NOTHING>.. then, on my last 3 tries, it says that i am entering an INVALID PIN!! You have GOTTA be kidding me!!

Either i got a faulty one or they just suck. On top of that, the response via email that i got from their support team was an email with the manual attached.

Did i tell you that the manual had TWO steps for pairing, and their trouble shooting says

no sound:
turn on your ipod
turn on your car radio
pair your phone to the item
turn on your phone

THATS IT

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
so no one else has this thing that might be able to help me????
Well its not much help now, but 'Buy the device that best suits your needs!'
You knew or should have know at the time of purchase that the iPhone didn't have A2DP or a whole slew of other basic Blue Tooth features. Buying based on future developements can be risky and watching the iPhone over a 1 year period tells me they :)apple:) are slow to change/improve.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
actually. I lied about the A2DP option.. it actually DOESNT use that. If you read up a little, i listed the two profiles it uses/

i also bought it assuming (because i was told by a vendor) that if it didnt use the bluetooth, it would just put the sound of the other caller throgh the FM transmitter and i could just use the regular microphone on the iphone.. BUT that was entirely not true. If the bluetooth doesn't pick it up, no sound from calls go through the speakers. It really does not make sense. I woudl THINK that if there is sound coming out of the speakers, no matter what it is, it would be redirected through the speakers of the car via fm transmitter.

i wish i could rename this thread, but the edit doesnt let you do that.. that is why i created a new thread in accessories with a more detailed view of my issue.. but being over there isnt offering any help either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.