DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Has any one seen what this guy does with paper :eek:

http://www.oncotton.co.uk/peter/index/A4PAPERCUT_000.htm

About my paper works

My paper works has lately been based around an exploration of the relationship between two and three dimensionality. I find this materialization of a flat piece of paper into a 3D form almost as a magic process - or maybe one could call it obvious magic, because the process is obvious and the figures still stick to their origin, without the possibility of escaping. In that sense there is as well an aspect of something tragic in most of the cuts. Some of the small paper cuts relates to a universe of fairy tales and romanticism, as for instance "Impenetrable Castle" inspired by Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale "The Steadfast Tin Soldier", in which a tin soldier falls in love with a paper ballerina, living in a paper castle. Other paper cuts are small dramas in which small figures are lost within and threatened by the huge powerful nature. Others again are turning the inside out, or letting the front and the back of the paper meet - dealing with impossibility, illusions, and reflections.

I find the A4 sheet of paper interesting to work with, because it probably still is the most common and consumed media and format for carrying information today, and in that sense it is something very loaded. This means that we rarely notice the actual materiality of the A4 paper. By removing all the information and starting from scratch using the blank white 80gms A4 paper as basic for my creations, I feel that I have found a material which, on one hand, we all are able to relate to, and which on the other hand is non-loaded and neutral and therefore easier to fill with different meanings. The thin white paper gives at the same time the paper sculptures a fragility which underlines the tragic and romantic theme of the works.

L

Lau

Those are fantastic. They'd be impressive either way, but the real cleverness is using one A4 sheet like that — the best ideas are the ones that use the cutouts to make something else.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
At first, I thought this was going to be a thread about the sheer evilness of paper cuts and how absurdly painful they can be.

Cut yourself accidentally with a knife and everyone feels sorry for you; cut yourself with a piece of paper and everyone winces and then usually smiles or laughs.

Anyway... these are great. Love seeing self-imposed medium restrictions like this. Would have been so much easier to choose any old pieces or sizes of paper. Wonder if these have been in an exhibition or had been used commercially in some way? All very ingenious.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Amazing -- thanks much for this link.

So delicate and so global -- like he cuts up portions of the world from small corners of paper.

Makes the stuff sitting in my printer feel the burden of existentialism, too ...