A5X 2x faster processing 4x faster gpu

Discussion in 'iPad' started by robbie12345, Mar 8, 2012.

1. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

so i was chastting with the apple store today about the new processor and i asked him if the processor is any faster then the A5

so he said that the processor is 2x faster and has a 4x faster gnu idk if this is bogus or not can anyone please confirm or disconrfirm thank you

2. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

I imagine that they would tell the workers at the Apple Store the correct specs.

So my money is on yes. (And Hooray)

/bradllez

3. robbie12345 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I seriously doubt they were able to double the CPU calculations two-fold using the existing A5 architecture.

That would have to be exactly a 2ghz clocked CPU. And seperately binned chips to achieve this sort of clock. It's possible yes but it sounds like a crude way of getting more performance at the cost of needing more voltage to send to the SoC.

I'm betting on a mild overclock to the A5 cpu, something like 1.2ghz or 1.5ghz from the base 1ghz.

Some people are also thinking they left it at 1ghz and leaning on the GPU more to do more processing. It's possible to accelerate CPU calculations using the GPU instead of the CPUs - perhaps Apple is doing this now.

I'll be VERY impressed if we see double speed in the web browser though, it would be nice to have a nearly desktop speed browser.

5. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I know Apple doesn't like talking about specs but I have to think that a doubling of CPU power is so significant that they would have found some way of mentioning it in the keynote. Be nice if it is true but I'm definitely not going to get my hopes up.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If the souped up GPU handles the retina display, then the A5 was already a speedy CPU for the iPad2. We'll have to wait and see but my money is one a smooth and silky experience...

7. robbie12345 thread starter macrumors 6502

but realize this did u see that the battery is almost double as powerful?

so i wud expect it to be 2ghz because of the same battery life of the already double battery