A5X and A6 for iPad 3???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by daleski75, Feb 26, 2012.

1. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

This could be interesting.
    Anyway that report really reports nothing, just that there's the code for an A6 within some iOS file.

3. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 68000

daleski75

This could add weight to Apple having 2 or more prototypes so come on Apple release an A15 iPad 3.

4. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Interesting. I don't think this is something many had considered. A5X = improved A5 chip (A9 architecture) for Apple TV for 1080p playback. Chip will probably remain dual core, quad core seems like overkill for a TV box

A6 = Whole new chip (A15 architecture) for iPad 3. Dual core with a new GPU to drive Retina Display

5. VinceDae macrumors regular

Hmmm

Would it be a TOTAL weird thing to believe that the new iPad is going to have different chips... for example that the WIFI only version will have the A5x and the LTE version will have the A6 ? could this be something they would do?

6. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

The a5x will be for the ipad3. Come on the size of that logic board is for ipad. That cant fit in a iphone. Plus it got 2 memory chips, iphone's only got one.
    Its certain that that logic board is made for the ipad. That leaves the question if its a dev board and if the processor will change in the final product....seriously whats the change of changing a processor when this photo shows a fully done board? Highly unlikely we'l see that happening.
    So the a5x will be in the ipad3.
    Now...we need to know the specs. Who knows apple calls everything a5 dual core...so we might be able to see the light of the a15 inside.
    Still i estimate that change small, but its there!
    The most believable way is that they use desame cpu and ramp the ghz up by a bit, or that it becomes desame cpu but then a quad variance of the chip.

----------

No thats impossible. Get rid of that thought its NOT going to happen;)

----------

Amen brother:p

7. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

SO many iPad 3 chip rumors! Haha, I sure hope that one of these chips has a good speed increase.

8. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Maybe the A5X is for a new Apple TV, or a lower priced iPad nano.

9. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

That's what i was thinking.

10. 808? macrumors 6502a

Apple may just be misdirecting some by labeling the A6 chip as an A5X while it was in a testing phase.

11. GearDriven macrumors newbie

Amazing what you can do with some silkscreening. I hope they put AppleMonkeyDishwasher on the next one and see where that sends people.

The iPad 3 will have more power than its closest competitor...the iPad 2. I've seen some people saying "I'll only buy it if it is quad core". There are so many more tweaks that Apple could make to speed things along than the number of cores. (A9 vs A15, GPU, bus speed, helper cores, RAM, etc...).

I have to ask though, has anyone found the iPad 2 to be too slow? My biggest complaints are the screen in sunlight, speaker, FFC, no SD card slot (can't take pictures off of my camera and edit/preview, and storage model (non removable, have to carry camera connection kit to get files from camera, and $200 for the upgrade to 64g when SD cards are under $100 and even the new 128gb ones are less than that... I expecting to be disappointed across the board on the iPad 3 -- but will still probably end up buying it anyways..sad life.

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It would make some sense for the iPad 3 to run a different SoC than the future iPhone. Up until now the iPad was only pushing slightly more pixels (1024x768 vs 960x640). Now it'll be pushing several times more.