A6X Airplay Improvements?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Welshman2oo5, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Welshman2oo5 macrumors member

Hi all,

I placed my order for the new 4th generation iPad today and was curious what people's thoughts were on how it will perform over airplay mirroring. I had heard that the iPad 3 would struggle a bit when playing games such as Real Racing over airplay to an HD TV.

Would increased processing power improve this? --or is it mostly a limitation of networking and home wifi routers?

Thanks!

2. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Maybe slightly as the iPad essentially encodes a video stream to send over...but the biggest issue will always be the wireless network connection. I don't think it will really be a noticeable difference though, as my iPhone 5 with an A6 and much less to render performs similar to the iPad 3.

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Am I correct in saying that the iPad 4 and iPad mini are the first iPads that support 5Ghz 802.11n ?

My iPad 2 streams Real Racing 2 though a Time Capsule with a few glitches here and there.

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

FWIW My iP5 w. the A6 mirrors flawlessly, even up stairs to our bedroom ATV and it's a good 20 yards away!

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

iPad 3 did as did the 2 can't recall if the 1 did but I think it did

7. Welshman2oo5 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input! The point about the iphone 5 already having an A6 and having less to render yet peforming similiarly to the iPad 3 leads me to think it is likely based mostly on the wifi networking in ones home. Maybe the "improved wifi" in these new models will help with it (not that it's a big issue in the first place).

I guess we will know soon enough.

8. MacBoy88 macrumors regular

The iPad 3 also supports 5GHz N

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The iPad 3 supports 5GHz too. But I think there has been a significant speed improvement. Dual band receiver.

10. MacBoy88 macrumors regular

I'm not 100% sure on this but iOS devices operate on 2.4GHz OR 5GHz. Not both at the same time.

As for speed. I think all iPads top out at 300MB/s because they do not support multiple input, multiple output (MIMO).

Again, I may be incorrect on this, but I think I'm right.