Aaaaaaarghh! Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SteL6666, May 8, 2008.

1. SteL6666 macrumors newbie

I won't bore you with the myriad of problems (yet) but let me ask what I hope is a simple question...

I've had the iMac about a year
    I bought the Time Capsule
    I connected wirelessly
    First backup was taking an age (I know this is supposed to happen)
    First backup crashed before completing
    I read that I should connect with an ethernet cable
    I do, but the Mac is not detecting the connection

Is my port dead? How can I tell??? Or is this just another TC problem?

Advice will be much appreciated!

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Well, you could always plug the iMac directly into your Cable Modem/DSL modem to see if the network jack on the iMac is bad.

When using the ethernet cable plugged into the TC....does Airport utility not see it at all? If you reboot it (unplug TC, plug back in), does it pick it up?

-Kevin

3. SteL6666 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does not pick it up at all. Red light on ethernet port in airport utility.

Oh and I set up the TC to wired mode, and can see it from a PC.

I cannot plug iMac directly into DSL as it is a different room and v. awkward. Will do it if no other possible way of checking though!

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Hmmmmmm.....so you have a PC plugged into the TC via wired ethernet and it's picking up an IP address?

Did you try a different network cable? (I know, sounds silly, but it's happened to me in the past)

You could always reset the TC back to factory settings to see if that helps:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1300

I'm not sure of any other way to test the wired connection on the iMac unless it's plugged into something. I know on my Mac Pro it is possible to turn OFF the Ethernet port (through System Preferences -> Network). Can you check to make sure the ethernet port isn't turned off?

-Kevin

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Also, when testing, I'd turn off the iMacs airport to make sure you don't accidentally switch over to using that.

And also, once you get this sorted out and the ethernet is working, turn off the airport on the iMac during the first backup. A lot of people have seen the computer they are using default to use the Airport connection instead of the wired connection.

-Kevin