Aaaaarggghhh! problems with codec - please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jammeygit, Apr 27, 2009.

1. jammeygit macrumors newbie

Hi, i am having nothing but sleepless nights sitting up till the wee small hours trying to figure out how to get a codec for an 'ms' file? i downloaded the f1 grand prix and I get pic but no sound... its in AVI format and when i open in quick time pro and request info it says the format is 'ms'. some where i read that you had to get a codec for this and place it in your /library/quicktime/ but that file doesnt exist on my HD either... pulling my hair out, please help!!

2. jammeygit thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks

Ok great thanks... sorry to sound like a dummy but what do I do when I have downloaded it? do i need to place it some where or when i down load it will it just start playing sound?
    thanks

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

When it's downloaded just double click on the file that appears (it will be called Perian.prefPane or something) and it will install a Preference Pane in your System Preferences (it will be an icon at the bottom of the window). Once it's installed you don't have to open it again or anything, just watch the movies you want.

4. jammeygit thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Thanks Ivan, so now when i open the file in quicktime it will just automatically play the sound? what about when i convert the file to mp4 to stream to apple tv... will it convert with sound then? what would you say is the best program for converting to itunes format to play on apple tv? sorry for all the questions its just am a little lost with it all!

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It should definitely play because Perian adds suport for .AVI files.

As for converting, many people here recommend Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr)

Hope this helps :)

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It should probably play because Perian adds support for most AVI files.

7. jammeygit thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks alot this has certainly helped. do you have any idea what could have happened the first time i converted with quick time pro? as when i watched it staight after i downloaded it the picture was so clear, then i soon as i clicked "convert to MP4" with QT pro... after it was done converting the picture was really pixelly...?

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Every time something is converted it loses quality, so that may have been the problem.

9. jammeygit thread starter macrumors newbie

What if it doesnt... is there anything else you could suggest.?:confused:

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, we can cross that bridge when we get to it, can't we? Very few AVI files have problems with Perian. If you need to play an MKV file, VLC or Plex will probably get the job done.

11. jammeygit thread starter macrumors newbie

will do thanks ever so much you ve been a grreat help!:)

12. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Theres a multitude of codecs around that may fix your problem. However, its hard to know which one it needs...

Firstly, try playing the video with the VLC media app. Because if that doesn't play it, you can almost guarantee that nothing else will either.
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5758/vlc-media-player

Secondly, I recommend you install some plugins/codecs which may well let the video play within QT..
    Divx: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11695/divx
    Perian: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22923/perian
    Flip4mac: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17787/flip4mac-wmv-player

If none of the above works, then you need to start again with a different video file!

Good luck...

13. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, the latest version of Perian supports MKV in QT Player. The recently-released 7.0 DivX also claims to, but I haven't tried.

This has been said many times in other threads, but it is also worth reminding that Quicktime actually has no trouble at all playing AVI files completely on its own--it's just that the current commonly-used codecs in AVI files aren't built-in to QT.

AVI, MKV, and MOV are all container formats. Each can hold any number of different audio and video codecs as well as some other features, depending on the format. It's finding those codecs that causes issues.

FLV and MP4 are, I'm pretty sure, also container formats, they're just *much* more restricted as to what codecs they can use so it's all-or-nothing as far as playing them goes (in fact, if memory serves, MP4 is based straight off the MOV container). Same I assume goes for Real files and ASF (usually has a .wmv filename) as well.

As others have said, though, the bottom line is that if you install Perian and Flip4Mac, Quicktime Player will be able to play pretty much anything you throw at it--I've only ever seen a couple of files it won't, and I deal with some rather esoteric Asian video sources on occasion.

VLC is an alternative, and it as well will play darn near anything you throw at it. In my experience it's slightly better with MKV on average and notably worse with WMV than Flip4Mac.

15. Darkerangel macrumors member

Question: I'm using my DIVX player for this MKV video and this pops up

"You may need an additional audio decoder to play the soundtrack of this file."

So what and how should I do it.

I have Perian, but in the new DIVX there's still no sound and then that message pops up.

16. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I don't, and have never used Perian.

Have you tried any of the other players such as VLC? That's what I use and I don't think I have found something that it can't play