Aaaargh! Cracked Screen in 4 Days.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qm1pooh, Jul 15, 2008.

1. qm1pooh macrumors newbie

Well, I wait in line most of the day Friday, finally get the thing activated, and am loving life with my 16GB iPhone 3G. Then, it all fell apart.

I dropped it onto a parking lot from about 2 feet. It must have hit right at the corner of the earpiece, because that's where the spiderwebbing starts. So much for the cool gel sleeve and screen protector! It still works, luckily.

I'm not really asking for advice, just wallowing in my sadness a little. I plan on seeing if Apple is still doing the $250 repair thingy, but I won't have the money until next month, and who knows with the way the 3G's have been flying off the shelves. The nearest Apple Store is about 100 miles away, so I may go up there one August weekend and give them my best hangdog look.

As they used to say in "Hill Street Blues", "Let's be careful out there."

:apple: Mac Mini
    :apple: 16GB iPhone 3G (or the resemblance of one)

2. Sphyrna macrumors regular

That really stinks! Not that I'm careless with my gadgets, but it's something I'm afraid of happening. I can only imagine how you feel.

3. ksz macrumors 68000

If you paid by credit card, see if your card company offers automatic accident protection on new purchases.

4. lmcintyre macrumors regular

The glass of the iPhone 3G is no longer connected to the lcd panel. This may lower the cost of the repair from previous generations. I would give applecare a call and see what they are charging for repair. Keep in mind the repair can be done by mail to save on 100 miles worth of $4 a gallon gas. Really sorry to hear about the iPhone though... I'm always afraid I will drop mine when I'm drunk sometime.

5. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

That really sucks. Makes me re-think keeping my iPhone naked. I never liked the rubbery cases. I like the clear hard shells. I keep one on my Nano in the gym. Maybe i should get the clear hard case. It's easier to keep the iPod Touch safe naked because usually when i use it, i'm not moving around. But with the iPhone, you pull that thing out almost in any situation if you are waiting for a call or need directions. So there is a higher percentage that it will get dropped. That's it. Hard clear case must be ordered.

6. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

That's the worst feeling....

I remember when I got the first iPhone, I was so excited that I literally dropped it right out of the box. It was okay and fortunately nary a scratch when it hit the nice fluffy rug.

Then I made sure to get a good case. Landed up with the nice hard leather of the Casemate Signature. That nice hard body wrapped it just right. Eventually I did drop it next to my bed where the hard wood floor awaited. Not a nick.

Didn't see the Casemate hard body leather signature series in the Apple Store but went back to AT&T's smaller selection and there is there branded own leather product. So I get that even though I wanted the attachable belt clip.

Open it up and yes, it's that nice hard leather design. And it's by Casemate.
    I bought another case but that's just for indoor use to attach with a New Balance bike. I'm not sure what the appeal is for these "soft" cases as they won't do anything but protect from light cosmetic stuff. If the phone falls even three feet, can they provide sufficient protection?

7. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

From what I saw on the PC World torture tests, the phone can take a beating without a case or protection of any kind. I think it all depends on how it strikes whatever surface it hits hard. I think as a result of that it doesn't really matter what case you have for the larger falls. Although for some smaller falls the cushioning of the gel cases and such might prevent some damage that a hard case would not.

I think it's best just to get a case you think looks good and you like the feel of.

8. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Ugh, that sucks. :(

I dropped mine on Saturday from about 4' onto a ceramic tile floor, but there was no damage, thank goodness. I nearly died when it happened, though.

9. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

That's why I'm going to get insurance for my iPhone (once I get it (Friday, Friday, Friday!)) :D

Insuring it with Optus is only like A$8.13 a month!

10. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

It's actually $299 to fix it,
    Model Type Out of Warranty Repair & Accidental Damage Repair
    8GB $199
    16GB $299