AAAARRRRGGGHHH! image persistence! (24" early 2009, iMac9,1)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rab Simpson, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Rab Simpson macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

Hi folks,

As previously, I'm back struggling with image persistence again. I had managed to get my display back to a nice even flat colour when using a solid colour background but within the last few weeks it's started messing up again. It doesn't make much sense because I don't tend to leave things on the screen for very long at all anymore out of sheer paranoia that the persistence will return, which it has :( I've also been using a background slideshow which changes the wallpaper every 5 seconds just to keep the image moving.

Here's some photos I've just taken. I'm noticing a lot of horizontal hatching, particularly in the dock. The images will show everything I mean.

Does anybody have any remedies for this that are a bit longer lasting than the usual "use a white screensaver and leave it on for days at a time"?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Robert

PS. Who should I pm in order to request a username change?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

My 2009 24" is suffering from this as well. It always comes back, no matter what you do. If you have AppleCare, you could contact Apple and let them fix it.

Use the Contact Form to request a username change

3. Rab Simpson thread starter macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

I didn't bother with AppleCare on this one, but I sure as hell will be on the next one.

4. Cmd-the-World macrumors regular

I have the same problem with my 24'' iMac 2008. The only remedy i found is to boost the fans and keep the system cool.

I know from experience that the worst is when I leave any windows open on
    the left side of the screen so I tend to leave any static windows on the right.

There is a thread on the Apple discussion board but there is no remedy to this problem (currently I lost the link when I find it I will post it)

5. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

This happens to me almost every night. It goes away in the morning, so it doesn't really bother me.

6. Rab Simpson thread starter macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

Fans have now been boosted as high as I can take them, bugger me I hate that noise but it's a small price to pay if it helps.

I can't wait to get myself a new iMac with one of the new panels, assuming of course that this problem isn't quite so persistent on them, but I think I'll be gettin a wee MacBook Pro first, probably a 15" with high res display.

Cheers,
    Robert

7. PurrBall, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011

PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

It happens on our studio's 21.5" iMac.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's pretty bad.

I have seen some image persistence, it DID go away over time, it hasn't come back - but it was nowhere near that bad.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

9. Cmd-the-World macrumors regular

10. Rab Simpson thread starter macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

When I got up this morning the effect had gone but at this point in the day (5:20pm) it's back, and in a different pattern, mostly horizontal lines about 4mm apart.

Looks like it's probably a heat issue that even sitting with a white display and the fans up full won't fix, I'll just have to put up with it. Thankfully I've got the 24" ACD sitting next to it.

Time to start gathering the pennies for the 27" i7 I think.

Cheers,
    Rab