AAC Over Bluetooth

gridlocked

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2019
RI
Does anyone use a bluetooth receiver paired with their ATV 4k that supports AAC? I just want to pair my existing headphones to the 4k and get the most out of them. I bought a Fiio BT receiver that says it has AAC support but it indicates its just giving me SBC.

I'm going to return it this week and hoping I can get some feedback.

gridlocked

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2019
RI
That's my understanding but I'm not getting AAC with this receiver which says its supports AAC. So I'm looking for feedback from someone using a receiver with their 4k who does receive AAC.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I tried with my Sony SBH56 receiver. I get connection, but I have no way of knowing what codec is in use.
Is there anything on the aTV side to reveal that?
PS The AirPod Pro's connect also nicely, but the same question arises - how do I know what protocol am I connected with?

gridlocked

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2019
RI
The Fiio shows a blue led for SBC, Cyan for AAC and another color for Aptx. I just see blue for SBC.

I use over the ear headphones so my only choice really for Apple would be Beats Solo Pro (for the H1 chip) @$300 and there is no way to use that with an amp. I have several pair of headphones, I shouldn't have to buy one specifically for this.

I've even thought about getting a used Airport Express.

gridlocked

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2019
RI
I'm wondering if I get a used airport express if I just plug it in, if I can just go into the ATV and see it there as an airplay device. Getting an ipad but right now other than ATV I've no Apple devices.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
My concern is lip sync. Of course, the AirPods Pro and AirPods and BEATS work perfectly and use AAC BUT I'm not convinced Bluetooth receivers will be 100% perfect. I remember reading postings on this forum about the exact problem with lip sync issue. I for one notice lip sync issues within a mega millisecond and it ruins the experience for me.
iTunes are still selling Notting Hill the film in the UK Store AND it STILL has the terrible lip sync issue. EVEN the 3 minute clip has lip sync issues. Having bought the film, I ended up asking for a refund as it simply made me angry to try and watch the lovely film. I reported it in August 2018 and Apple STILL hasn't replaced the damaged file that it is selling to its customers. Apple really needs better QC in this department!

gridlocked

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2019
RI
I'm not getting any noticeable, to me anyway, lip sync so its great in that regard. The only times I get lip sync is when using frame rate matching - then its noticeable. Lip sync ruins viewing.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I believe there was some marketing confusion with the BTR1. They didn't finish AAC support and it was disabled prior to release but still marketed with AAC support. Return it if that is the one you have.

You used to be able to tell fairly easily using Console whether a BT device was SBC and AAC however either I'm forgetting what I should be looking for or they've changed it around.

gridlocked

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2019
RI
Thanks I returned it last week.

Their website clearly states that version 2 software on the device does support AAC and that if the box shows AAC on it (it did) then it supports AAC. To even get that info which is clearly wrong you have to scour through their forums. Purporting a capability to a product that doesn't exist is a pretty bad business practice.

I emailed them and they responded basically saying that the retailer should answer any questions so I'm not impressed with their customer service.

I ended up getting an optical to rca dac and running a 3.5mm ext to the tv for now and looking at a used airport for wireless to the sofa area.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona

Their website clearly states that version 2 software on the device does support AAC and that if the box shows AAC on it (it did) then it supports AAC. To even get that info which is clearly wrong you have to scour through their forums. Purporting a capability to a product that doesn't exist is a pretty bad business practice.

I emailed them and they responded basically saying that the retailer should answer any questions so I'm not impressed with their customer service.

I ended up getting an optical to rca dac and running a 3.5mm ext to the tv for now and looking at a used airport for wireless to the sofa area.
WOW - That is SHOCKING customer service! They really don't deserve to sell any of their dodgy products with customer 'service' like that!

Whenever I took the role as marketing manager at any company, my first goal was to offer the best customer service out there. My goal was to make the customer feel truly appreciated and we'd go out of our way to do that!
- - Post merged: - -

WOW man, that's a very messy way to simply listen to your Apple TV. I use AirPods Pro and they are just beautiful. Prior to that, I used AirPods. Humans if not careful do tend to over complicate things when in all honesty, life should be truly simple - from my travels, those with the simpler way of life do tend to be far happier :)