AAC v. Apple Lossless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emmauslax31, Oct 28, 2011.

1. emmauslax31 macrumors newbie

So Im trying to figure out how to fit more songs on my iPhone, while still maintaining quality audio. Right now my library is in 256 AAC... Will I fit more on my phone using Apple Lossless? Or what is my best option. Also, my computer will probably benefit from this too considering, 75% of my hard drive is my iTunes music... Any input is helpful. Just trying to better understand this

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Typically Lossless Audio Formats are larger in file size rather than smaller.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

AAC is a lossy encoding, so it results in smaller files than ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec). I don't know of any encoding method supported by iPhone that results in smaller files than 256 AAC, that will not have worse audio quality.

You can of course downconvert your media to 128bit AAC on the fly through iTunes, that lets you leave the higher quality audio on your computer but gives you more space on your phone (at a cost of audio quality on the phone). There's a checkbox on the sync Summary tab to enable this in iTunes.

4. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I have my CD's ripped to 192k Variable AAC. They sound fine and save space. Apple Lossless is quite large.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Apple Lossless is uncompressed. If you convert 256 to Apple Lossless, your file size will not change.

6. LoganT macrumors 68020

I use VBR 320 kbps AAC which is actually a higher file size than just straight CBR 320 kbps AAC. Typically Apple Lossless is about double the size of VBR 320 kbps AAC.