aac vs mpeg

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Colinwoods84, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Colinwoods84 macrumors newbie

so ive got about 6217 files that are mpeg. I have so many different ranges of music on my ipod its killing me in my truck with things sounding better then others. So my question is and I dont know if this will help but should I just convert my entire music library over to aac? I have already made a back up of my music folder and went ahead and started to convert. If you folks say this is good then I will just go ahead and delete and move to trash all the mpegs.

Let me know please

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean .mp3 with mpeg?
    Anyway, transcoding audio from one compressed format and codec to another format and codec will not make the audible quality better, as there is nothing there to make it better. You need to rip the original audio CDs again with better settings to gain quality.
    from matteusclement

3. Colinwoods84 thread starter macrumors newbie

well what is the best quality I can get from a rip? Ive got like 256kbps 128 320 its all over the place

4. simsaladimbamba

Uncompressed is the best, but if you don't have the storage capacity, AAC is quite good with 192Kbit/s, although I prefer 256Kbit/s and 320Kbit/s.

5. Colinwoods84 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so in itunes if I "convert to aac" is that taking my 320 and breaking it down?

6. simsaladimbamba

I don't understand the last part, but I presume you meant to ask how iTunes transcodes to 320Kbit/s? Go to Preferences in iTunes like shown here and select AAC and the bitrate you want and then you can re-rip the audio CDs.

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

You can convert higher bitrate mp3s to lower bitrate aac to save space, but I personally wouldn't do it. You always lose quality when you compress something that's already been compressed. You would have been better off to rerip all your CDs as lower bitrate aac.

8. ronnydudek macrumors newbie

Even if you could convert from the iPod, it wouldn't matter because you're dealing with the same compressed AAC file whether it's on the iPod or your computer.I like AAC,but then I have an iPod.I could hear artifacts of the compression with 128k mp3,I don't with 128k AAC. Extensive listening with headphones has yet to reveal a problem, even with stuff I had on CD and had listened to over a hundred times.