aagghh - can't move folders - help !

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TayHarley, Oct 4, 2008.

1. TayHarley macrumors member

TayHarley

Hiya

I've been moving folders around and cleaning all the crap out from the transition from Windoz to Mac.

I must have switched something on as I can't drag folders around into higher levels or/and the folder is copied but not deleted from it's original location.

I guess it is some nifty security feature to stop files being deleted, lost, spotlighted or something but I can't figure it out.

Have I switched something on or off !!????

Help much appreciated - I have 20 GB to clean !!

2. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

I'm not quite sure exactly what you're asking, but there are some important things to remember when copying files with OS X.

1. Copying files to high level folders isn't generally recommended. Folders like root hard drive, System, Library, etc. may require your admin password, so I would suggest sticking to your user folder.

2. If you're copying from another drive (network, USB, shared computer) you're doing just that: copying. Unless you hold the Command key down when copying from another drive, the file will remain in the original location. By holding the key down, you initiate a move (basically a copy + delete) of the original file.

3. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

When you drag a folder towards a location IN the same hard disk, it will get moved, when you drag it to ANOTHER disk, it will get copied. If you want to alter (reverse) this default behaviour, press the command key while dragging to another drive, and option when dragging in the same drive...

4. TayHarley thread starter macrumors member

TayHarley

thx folks

I'm still getting used to the iMAc cmd key - couldn't understand why when I dragged folders around I was copying not moving and was confused by the face I could drag some (I now realize from USB) to iMac but not on the iMAC.

as I am increasingly finding, with a Mac there is a simple logic behind it - I'm losing my Windoz conditioning daily !!

thx . . . . again