AAHH!! i need some help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macdame, Mar 19, 2009.

1. macdame macrumors newbie

i have a powerbook g4 that i just recently got. i have successfully connected to wireless before but i went today and it keeps timing out. any ideas on how i can fix it? i have tried restarting and turning the airport on and off.
    thanks!

2. 2056 macrumors 6502

try resetting your router. always works for me.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

A few suggestions: 1) turn off the AirPort card, or leave it off if its already in that state. 2) bring up your Network Preferences and in the AirPort connection screen you can clear your list of preferred networks. 3) open Keychain Access, delete the WEP/WPA passphrases stored by the name of the network. 4) restart computer, turn AirPort back on, manually connect. And about resetting the router, you will actually want to power cycle (as in turn off, disconnect from power) both the router and the DSL/cable modem that's connected to it for about 2-5 minutes and then reactivating the modem first then afterward the router. Resetting the router with a paper clip is almost always a last resort unless you know how to set it up again if all the settings are cleared.