Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Exactly. A lot of the recent down action on Wall Street is tax trading. Capital gains taxes are expected to rise in 2013. Investors aren't going to be tax traders, though, and their best strategy is to ignore the static. If you keep to a long time horizon, it doesn't matter what happens over a period of weeks or even months.

This. I've been saying this for weeks. So much uncertainty of the future of taxes and the overall market there seems to be a major sell while the gettin is still good.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Presuming you had a sensible acquisition price, right.

Is $5 a sensible price for AAPL? Seriously, I am in the sell mode but only because of my ridiculous overweight in the one stock. I sold some in August and plan another sale some time next year, so what happens in between is not much of a concern to me. Maybe I've got the luxury of not having to watch the stock ticker every day (I ignore it for weeks on end, actually) but in reality if I'd had a stock ticker fixation I probably wouldn't be enjoying that luxury today. So I think if you bought for a fundamentally good reason in the first place and haven't bet more than you can afford to lose, then the advice remains the same: Don't stare at the ticker, it will make you crazy, and crazy people make decisions they later regret.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
My $0.02?
Let. It. Ride.
But I've always looked at stock as a long term investment. Stocks go up, stocks go down. From what I can tell, Apple seems much more poised to pay off than others.

Example (correct me if I'm wrong, selective memory is not out of the question): I can't recall Apple ever having as many refreshed products "available" for Holiday than at any point in it's history. Nearly the entire product line has been refreshed. Highly unusual. It was not at all uncommon that Apple would hold back major product announcements/refreshes in favor of (say) January's MWSF... Completely missing the largest retail season of the year - a product cycle philosophy I never understood. This appears at least one thing Tim looks to change. Which makes a lot of sense/cents.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Which is why I doubled my stake in a Vanguard S&P 500 index fund, rather than pouring it all into one bucket of risk with AAPL. If anyone here can beat the S&P year in and year out, they should be a fund manager for Berkshire Hathaway.

AAPL risk? Only if you play the short game. I've had a return of 7x on my most recent investment in AAPL. And that's playing the long game. I only invest in stocks of companies I believe in. Why put money in a fund where you're giving money to companies whose business practices you probably don't even like? And playing with funds just keeps in business the kind of analysts that try to manipulate the market.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Price of AAPL has no bearing on reality. They make billions and there stock goes down 25%. Makes no sense. They are an extremely good value.

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
I can't recall Apple ever having as many refreshed products "available" for Holiday than at any point in it's history. Nearly the entire product line has been refreshed. Highly unusual. It was not at all uncommon that Apple would hold back major product announcements/refreshes in favor of (say) January's MWSF...

It's called throwing the kitchen sink--before 2013 problems. We have some significant and frightening issues with this economy. And I don't expect many here to even begin to understand the basics of those underlying fundamentals. Remember, we have 2 options going forward; debasement of the currency or austerity.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
AAPL risk? Only if you play the short game. I've had a return of 7x on my most recent investment in AAPL. And that's playing the long game. I only invest in stocks of companies I believe in. Why put money in a fund where you're giving money to companies whose business practices you probably don't even like? And playing with funds just keeps in business the kind of analysts that try to manipulate the market.

There's a huge difference between a no-load index fund and a mutual fund or hedge fund.

I don't buy based on belief.... I buy based on facts. The most important fact is whether or not the company is currently priced below its intrinsic value (as determined by working capital and operating cash flow). Apple's future prospects are not grim by any stretch, but it is not a bargain with very low risk.

Many people flock to AAPL because, well, it's the largest brand they know and they haven't done much research elsewhere, so it's accessible and it appears unshakeable to the untrained eye... but I routinely find three or four securities every six months that have proportionately the same growth prospects but are grossly underpriced by the market. The fact that I find few of them doesn't bother me. All that matters is that I found them before everyone else caught on.

----------

Is $5 a sensible price for AAPL? Seriously, I am in the sell mode but only because of my ridiculous overweight in the one stock. I sold some in August and plan another sale some time next year, so what happens in between is not much of a concern to me. Maybe I've got the luxury of not having to watch the stock ticker every day (I ignore it for weeks on end, actually) but in reality if I'd had a stock ticker fixation I probably wouldn't be enjoying that luxury today. So I think if you bought for a fundamentally good reason in the first place and haven't bet more than you can afford to lose, then the advice remains the same: Don't stare at the ticker, it will make you crazy, and crazy people make decisions they later regret.

Regardless of your fundamentally good reason, if you bought at a price closer to, say $600 a share, was it sensible when the intrinsic value of the company (accounting for future growth prospects) is not more than $500 per share? Is that more sensible than buying it at some point when it's under its intrinsic value? I'm pretty certain the second scenario has more cushion than the first far more often than not.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hahaha. Hilarious. No analyst knows what's going to happen. But I guess people are betting a lot of money on them. If it were me, hell, I'd do my own research. Not follow some analyst.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Well, if that's all it takes to add 31 dollars to the price, he should just call 4-5 more buddies to also post some "very positive comments" to run it right back to $700... or maybe 7-8 buddies could write some positive things to run it to $800.

Better yet, why not just deem the Apple faithful on this site as "analysts" and the stock price could run to the moon.

No need, once it starts moving like this the momentum will carry it more than anything anyone can say.

max pl

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
oh god what a story.

you really think apple is surging because of comments from some little analysts, or because the overall market is up because of fiscal cliff deal speculation?

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2010
Apple has truly rewarded the faithful who've hung onto the stock since the early 90s, when every sign and sage said sell.

I only got in with my meager 10 share purchase in July and was sickened to see me lose $1300+, so hoping to come right back to at least where I bought in at.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Bought it right after the split at $44/ share. Best decision I've ever made.

I feel bad for any suckers who sold it on Friday hoping to sell short.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I must have missed the news today. Did Microsoft swoop in and "save" Apple with another $150 million cash infusion?

LOL.

Me: long AAPL since 2000. :D

Last edited:

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Personally I don't think it's because of Analysts comments but a decent "correction" in the sell off of shares that occurred over the past couple of weeks.

There are analysts posting comments almost on a daily basis.

Yep. Agreed. It was somewhat overvalued, needed an adjustment. It'll rise again with Mini sales and Christmas.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I've never met a day/swing trader who didn't wipe out his principal at some point.

Any number times zero is still zero. Compounding interest over the long term always beats trading. Impatience is the enemy.

My understanding is that day trading just can't work because the transaction costs of doing that many trades will wipe out your gains. Especially since the folks doing it can't put that much money in play to spread out the transaction costs.

However, if as a day trader you are mainly just competing against other day traders (and certainly not against someone like myself who buys and holds for years), then if you are better (and luckier) than your competition, you should be able to make money. Don't you think that should be possible?

----------

It's called throwing the kitchen sink--before 2013 problems. We have some significant and frightening issues with this economy. And I don't expect many here to even begin to understand the basics of those underlying fundamentals. Remember, we have 2 options going forward; debasement of the currency or austerity.

I don't agree with you. But even in your scenario, in the case of currency debasement, I'd much rather have my money in stocks. Stocks are an inflation hedge.

If we go the austerity route, the economy will contract and Apple will sell less stuff. But I would be curious to find out what percentage of Apple's sales go to folks making, for example, over $200,000 a year. So maybe Apple will still continue to sell, like luxury goods that continued to sell just fine right through the latest recession.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.