AAPL to hit One Trillion in 2018

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MachCrit, Dec 23, 2017.

1. MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

An amazing success story. But I'm not sure Steve would be totally pleased with the current state of affairs at Apple.

I suspect he would be miffed about the many software glitches, and even more importantly, he might be very concerned about the commoditization of the company, perhaps coupled with an (in his view) lack of focus and true innovation, something he warned about in one of his speeches, a conceivable outcome for an innovative company with a gradually shifting executive balance from creators at the vanguard of technology to balance-sheet conscious comptrollers and CFOs.

Steve's priority always was gorgeous, well-designed and meticulously engineered products that 'just worked' for the average Joe without any computer background, and he was sure in the knowledge profits would follow.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but these days I'm sensing a shift of emphasis at Apple from what was once a rather unique outlook and company missive, so well instilled by the late Apple co-founder, to a mission to please shareholders.

Perhaps an inevitable result of their spectacular success.

3. MachCrit thread starter Suspended

MachCrit

“Steve” made a lot of mistakes that we still live with today, and was as mercenary about winning the financial game as anyone in business. The iPhone was built to wear out so we would have to upgrade on Steve’s watch.

The answer is a battery case. Get one, don’t look back. :)

4. Tapiture macrumors 6502a

I think that Amazon will get there before Apple. Mark my words, 2018 will NOT be a good year for Big Tech. People are beginning to question the power they wield and their morals. As they kill more and more jobs and become more and more anticompetitive, Big Tech will be up for major disruption.

5. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502a

Phil in ocala

When Apple hits a trillion...Trump will take credit.

6. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Might as well, cause nobody will give Tim any credit, that's for sure

7. Tapiture macrumors 6502a

I’ll give Tim credit. It was his decision to make Apple based in the island of Jersey in order to rake in huge amounts of cash at a laughable tax rate. That’s whats inflating their market cap. He probably doesn’t want that credit, though.

8. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

No one thought Apple(AAPL) would be here, I didn't. I still remember Jobs blaming speculators for bring down the stock in 2007-2008. The stock topped around $200 then. Now after 10 years, that same stock is worth $1225 in pre-split price. What a ride.

I hope AAPL does something relevant with that money they have collecting dust besides paying taxes. Hehe. Time to take over some big companies and/or something else big.

9. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

It's truly an interesting problem to have: "I have buckets of money, and have no idea what to do with it," and that is the downfall of many companies.

No, I'm not saying that Apple has no ideas, however, if that's the case, then it's a slow downhill slide, with spasms of being reborn, then a quick death for the company. What kills them is the accountants that make engineers and people with risky and innovative ideas justify themselves with a "business case."

Stay young, Apple.

10. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

If nothing else, Apple can buy back stock.

11. ftaok, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018

ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

This is totally not true. Tim is not an accountant. His expertise was with the supply chain and logistics.

Not a commentary on the international tax situation, but if you want to blame/credit someone about the taxes, point to Peter Oppenheimer. He was the CFO when the 'Double Irish' and 'Double Irish with a Dutch Sandwich' accounting techniques were invented.

ADDED - Turns out that Peter Oppenheimer probably isn't the guy either. These techniques were invented in the late 80s. Might have been a guy named Joe Graziano ... but finding a list of Apple's CFOs has been surprisingly difficult.

12. 960design macrumors 68030

Bean counters and advertisers should not run a cash positive company. Time to let the engineers play.

13. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Apple's glory days are over, it is on the same slide as Microsoft now, doom, gloom, Nostrodamus, etc.

14. warp9 macrumors member

warp9

This is the correct answer. Apple will be going private. Hold onto those shares.

15. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

That's not how it works. Apple can't go private by using it's cash reserves.

16. Zenithal macrumors 603

It might post-WWDC. Provided Apple reveal new and or better products.