aargh..idisk public folder password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andiwm2003, Oct 4, 2007.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have a really annoying idisk problem:

i have no password on my idisk public folder. when i connect via a web browser (safari, firefox, ie 6) it still asks for a password.
    i have set and removed the password countless times.
    i connect via: ( http://idisk.mac.com/USERNAME-Public?view=web, the public as user and the password)

only in firefox it asks for the password, i hit cancel without typing anything, it asks again, i hit cancel again and then i get access.

in ie6 and safari it asks once for the password, doesn't accept whatever i type and then loads forever without ever showing me the contents.

it seems there is a permission problem or so. even when i set a password it will not accept it. i turn password off and still no luck. wtf????

why do i pay 100 b ucks and then i can't use the idisk public folder?

logging into the idisk itself via a browser works fine. i just can't give anybody access to my idisk public folder even when i use the recommended browsers.

any help is appreciated!

2. Gee macrumors 65816

I had the same problem the other week and got annoyed and gave up. I just tried again in order to empathize with you in this post, and it's working OK again.

Bizarre

No help though I realise.

3. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

thanks anyway. on apples support forum people have similar problems but most simply do not use "public" as the correct user.

my problem is that i don't have a password (which is stupid) and even then it asks for a password.

i just hope they fire a few people (or a lot) at dot mac and fix that service.:mad:

4. GNice macrumors 6502

any resolution to this issue...when i don't have it password protected i get prompted for a pass word. when i do add a password, it still doesn't work. i've tried public as the userid and my .mac userid...neither works. how frustrating. does this even work?

EDIT: finally got it to work...someone on the .mac forum on apple site stated restarts sometimes do the trick...worked for me or so it appears. :-/

5. vixster macrumors newbie

idisk public password

can anyone help? I have set my idisk to password protect my public folder with a password that is different to my me.com password.

my Dad can access my public folder with no password at all, I can only get into it using my me.com password!! arrgh, I've checked and checked and reset and restarted - is it something to do with the fact it was a .Mac account before?

any help gratefully received, its driving me crazy.

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Did you set the password through me.com or through the system preferences on your Mac?

You should try logging out then logging back in on your Mac.

7. vixster macrumors newbie

through system preferences, thanks, i will try that

8. vixster macrumors newbie

i think I get it now - I do need the password for the me.com public folder (thanks, that does work with user-public and then my new password), but the exact same public folder(it looks different but has been updated to contain the same files as my me.com one) is available without password at the old .Mac address - which is the address my Dad has - from when I set up the folder originally. Can this be remedied?

9. AntAnimations macrumors newbie

Re: idisk password issue

This has been a very frustrating problem using idisk to host sites where it automatically asks the user to log in and asks for a password. Fingers crossed this is working for me so far.

After a lot of searching this website helped…
    http://homepage.mac.com/rfwilmut/notes/webpages.html

Instead of linking your url to idisk.mac.com you need to link it to homepage.mac.com

“Note that the URL begins with homepage.mac.com not idisk.mac.com - the latter requires your main password and leads to all areas of the iDisk including the private ones”

Hope this can help some of you out there.