Aargh – my fluffies

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
169
Had my Shuffle for a week now and after a number of close calls, both fluffies from the headphones have now disappeared.

A couple of times last week, I managed to catch up with one as it escaped – falling from the ear-piece and rolling along the pavement in the cold London wind.

These headphones are, without a doubt, nearly the worst Apple product I have ever used. If I had spent a larger amount on a Photo iPod and got these stupid things with it, I'd be really annoyed.

Now I have to break into the second pack that came with the Shuffle – they're really starting to piss me off.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
They are just fluffies as you call them. No need to get all worked up over them. I lost all of mine in the first month, so I just use headphones without any on.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,910
41
Andover, MA
I agree that they're worthless pieces of fluff.

Regular cellphone earpiece covers stay on a lot better - what can't Apple's?

You'd think they'd at least sell replacements, maybe even in various colors.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
169
Lacero said:
They are just fluffies as you call them. No need to get all worked up over them. I lost all of mine in the first month, so I just use headphones without any on.
And then they're even more painful than usual... I'm sorry, I've had a few crap personal stereos through the years but these headphones are wilfully spiteful.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, I agree with you, Velvet. :( They're really painful to my ears as well. Which would bring up the question of why I still use them. Ahem. I need to buy a pair of Sony EX-71s.....in WHITE, baby! :p
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Have your tried the little headphones with hooks that attach around the ears? I found those to relieve the pressure of actually sticking something into your ear.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
169
Lacero said:
Have your tried the little headphones with hooks that attach around the ears? I found those to relieve the pressure of actually sticking something into your ear.
I'm extremely tempted to find some better ones – but there's still that nagging feeling of inadequacy of what people will think when they see that I don't have those precious white headphone leads that tell others you've arrived amongst the urban hipster elite. :eek:

I'll no longer be part of the iPoderati – I'll just be seen as yet another failed wannabe with some crappy iRiver or Walkman-knockoff... despised and shunned for my inferior choice of music-player.

I'll be forced to ostentatiously and publicly fiddle with the iPod to make sure that others will know that I too, am worthy and deserving of that elusive quality of trendiness.

As a designer, I can do no less...

;)
 

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
938
0
Seattle
LMAO... "fluffies"...

but anywho, I lost one of said "fluffies" and decides to just go without them anymore... then I upgraded to real headphones.
 

dscan99

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2004
137
0
Nashville, TN
well, I lost both pairs of those useless fluffies in the first week of using my iPod. Have long switched to a regular pair of headphones.
 

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
934
0
Dallas, Texas
Blue Velvet said:
These headphones are, without a doubt, nearly the worst Apple product I have ever used. If I had spent a larger amount on a Photo iPod and got these stupid things with it, I'd be really annoyed.
Sorry about that.

Apple obviously deliberately chose to include cheapo garbage earphones rather than none. What they didn't figure into the equation is annoying their die hard fan base. And BV is a proud member of the latter, and we know how hard it must be for Apple to make her angry.

Come on Apple, we know that you're reading this, supply half-way decent earphones and jack up the price by another dollar or two!
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
Blue Velvet said:
I'm extremely tempted to find some better ones – but there's still that nagging feeling of inadequacy of what people will think when they see that I don't have those precious white headphone leads that tell others you've arrived amongst the urban hipster elite. :eek:

I'll no longer be part of the iPoderati – I'll just be seen as yet another failed wannabe with some crappy iRiver or Walkman-knockoff... despised and shunned for my inferior choice of music-player.

I'll be forced to ostentatiously and publicly fiddle with the iPod to make sure that others will know that I too, am worthy and deserving of that elusive quality of trendiness.

As a designer, I can do no less...

;)
Of course, it has been well documented (on this forum, no less) that being openly iPodic can be dangerous to your health - and your wallet - since the criminal element also wishes to part of the "urban hipster elite"! ;)

You may want to rethink the need for the white earphones and the, ahem, public handling of your shuffle.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
169
emw said:
Of course, it has been well documented (on this forum, no less) that being openly iPodic can be dangerous to your health - and your wallet - since the criminal element also wishes to part of the "urban hipster elite"! ;)

You may want to rethink the need for the white earphones and the, ahem, public handling of your shuffle.
I was just jesting...

Some people do seem to wear them as a badge of cool, though.

I'm not fussed with the white leads... if you've ever been to London in the winter, you'll have noticed that most of us – the tired, huddled masses of commuters – usually wear black coats and those white leads... well, you just can't do anything with them! :D
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
Blue Velvet said:
I was just jesting...
Sure you were :D

That's why I "winked" at the end - I didn't take you for the superficial type. I just couldn't wait to use the phrases "urban hipster elite" and "public handling of your shuffle." It is, after all, Friday afternoon here in the midwest US. TGIF. :p
 

Jsmit

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2004
195
0
Boston
My fluffies outlasted my earphones. I have my original fluffies on new earphones (the fluffies that came with the new earphones don't seem to be as strong). My fluffies are two years old. I do have to replace them now, they are a little stretched.
 

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
169
0
New Jersey
Lacero said:
Have your tried the little headphones with hooks that attach around the ears? I found those to relieve the pressure of actually sticking something into your ear.
I have a pair of Sony headphones like that, and they're very comfortable. They sound pretty decent, too.

Marc
 

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
457
0
urban insecurity neurosis

Blue Velvet said:
I'm extremely tempted to find some better ones – but there's still that nagging feeling of inadequacy of what people will think when they see that I don't have those precious white headphone leads that tell others you've arrived amongst the urban hipster elite. :eek:

I'll no longer be part of the iPoderati – I'll just be seen as yet another failed wannabe with some crappy iRiver or Walkman-knockoff... despised and shunned for my inferior choice of music-player.

I'll be forced to ostentatiously and publicly fiddle with the iPod to make sure that others will know that I too, am worthy and deserving of that elusive quality of trendiness.

As a designer, I can do no less...

;)
Hmmmm, I feel for you. I realize you are being facetious, yet I feel just the opposite. I'd rather have higher quality ear-phones and be inconspicuously incognito. I boxed my included phones for better phones right away. If you must have white, other brands are making white now. I myself am holding out for the day-glow colored phones and wire leads.
 

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
219
0
my shuffle fluffies went straight to the trash, unopened. Try the sony 51's for $25, you will never use the apples again.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.