Aargh, Nintendo DSi doesn't like wireless network encryption

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by wrldwzrd89, May 28, 2009.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Come ON Nintendo, you can do better than that... release a DSi update already to make the DSi's wireless compatible with WPA/WPA2 encryption, what I use on my home wireless network. In order to work around this issue I've had to set up a wireless access point with no encryption whatsoever and MAC address-based access control just to get the DSi to behave. I could use WEP, which I'm sure the DSi is compatible with, but that's so weak that it's almost not worth bothering.

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yeah, good luck waiting for that. Nintendo just don't care.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I use WPA2 on my Wireless network and my DSi (US & JP Versions)/DS (US & JP Versions)/PSP (all versions/US & JP) connect just fine to it. I think it is time to check in to buying a new router, or maybe making sure you are correctly doing the networking.

This screams of user error, its either your equipment or how you are trying to connect them. The DSi is able to use WPA2. Also keep in mind with the DS the game can also control how it connects, kind of a strange way to do it, but I know some games can set the security protocol.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

5. Animalk macrumors 6502

If you want your older multiplayer DS games to work online, you will need to setup your network using a WEP encryption key. The games are not setup to handle WAP. If you connect to a WAP network, you will only be able to use browser and store.

6. bstreiff macrumors regular

DS games are limited to WEP only, DSi games can use WEP/WPA. Why? The network code is stored in the ROMs on the games, not in the device itself.

It's rather unfortunate, and also a reason I haven't really bothered to upgrade from my DS-- I'd still have to use WEP to use my existing games.