madeirabhoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

two entirely different questions teaming up to make me want to put my watch through the window, over the balcony and into the sea!

1. why have apple ignored all the obvious better ways of transferring music, in terms of wifi, in terms of downloading direct from iTunes match, in terms of downloading at any time, and gone for the golden triangle of shitness, has to be on charge, has to be via iPhone and has to be bluetooth????

so it takes hours, and i mean hours and hours, to copy a big playlist. which took ages the first time because the 2gb limit isn't accurate so i had to keep trimming songs off as it would only take my playlist when it got down to 1.27gb

but thats not the big problem. i have to occasionally log out of my portuguese account, and log into my wife's uk account to update uk only apps like bbc sports, iplayer, google assistant etc....

but when i do, on my phone, my watch decides to delete all my music! why???

big samm

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2008
Same here i have a Us and Canadian itunes account, and each time a switch stores all the music content gets deleted on the phone and the watch also. That’s the way it works.

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Have you tried leaving the watch actually powered off when using your primary/everyday account, then doing your out-of-region updates, then rebooting your iPhone and then powering up your AW?

I mean - you shouldn't actually be changing which iCloud account is on your iPhone - you should just be logging into the App store (or iTunes) with your other region account, which should change the store to that region, no?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Have you tried leaving the watch actually powered off when using your primary/everyday account, then doing your out-of-region updates, then rebooting your iPhone and then powering up your AW?

I mean - you shouldn't actually be changing which iCloud account is on your iPhone - you should just be logging into the App store (or iTunes) with your other region account, which should change the store to that region, no?

That is all I do. Log out in App Store and back in as wife. Update and then log out and in as me. Good idea with the watch but you shouldn’t have to

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
The real killer is the requirement that it stay on the charger. So you can’t go about your business and let it transfer in the background.

Madeirabhoy, what version of watch are you using? I have found the Series 3 to be much faster than the 2 for wireless transfers.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have found any downloads or updates on the watch to be painfully slow. Apple must be using some slow servers when sending a watch update to your phone for use on the AW. It can take hours. My AW3 was quicker but still so slow!

madeirabhoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
You're circumventing the agreements that Apple has made internationally for content and App's....you really can't bitch about having to dance through hoops to do it. You're pirating.

im not pirating, clearly and im not downloading anything im legally not allowed to so no im not.
[doublepost=1512303730][/doublepost]
The real killer is the requirement that it stay on the charger. So you can’t go about your business and let it transfer in the background.

Madeirabhoy, what version of watch are you using? I have found the Series 3 to be much faster than the 2 for wireless transfers.

exactly. has apple said at any stage why they chose such a convoluted way, bluetooth and only when on charge, to copy their music?

i have a series 3, but to get 2 gbs of music onto it takes hours and hours

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I don’t think Apple has ever commented on why they use Bluetooth. I’m guessing it is security related. Since the watch is on the charger it can’t be a battery related issue.

Bluetooth 4.2 is faster than the 4.0 on the Series 2 but you’re right, 2GB will still take hours. I was pretty happy that I could transfer an 80mb podcast to my watch in 15 minutes. My Series 2 needed about 45 minutes. But even at that rate 2GB is going to take over 6 hours.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have found any downloads or updates on the watch to be painfully slow. Apple must be using some slow servers when sending a watch update to your phone for use on the AW. It can take hours. My AW3 was quicker but still so slow!
The updates and music download to the watch over bluetooth so it is painfully slow.

I have three Series 2 watches and last week, I updated all of them when I updated my phone to iOS 11. It took about 4 hrs per watch. The third watch, I had to wait to update the next day because I simply didn't have that much time. I doubt that I will update my watches to the next version because of the time involved.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The updates and music download to the watch over bluetooth so it is painfully slow.

I have three Series 2 watches and last week, I updated all of them when I updated my phone to iOS 11. It took about 4 hrs per watch. The third watch, I had to wait to update the next day because I simply didn't have that much time. I doubt that I will update my watches to the next version because of the time involved.

I agree but sometimes it take a long time to just get it downloaded to the phone, much less from the phone to the watch.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
im not pirating, clearly and im not downloading anything im legally not allowed to so no im not.
[doublepost=1512303730][/doublepost]

exactly. has apple said at any stage why they chose such a convoluted way, bluetooth and only when on charge, to copy their music?

i have a series 3, but to get 2 gbs of music onto it takes hours and hours

I doubt the battery could keep the radio on long enough to transfer that much data.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I doubt the battery could keep the radio on long enough to transfer that much data.

from wifi, i doubt it would be a problem. but surely if battery is the only reason, then they could have had wifi transferring whilst only attached to the charger.

but instead they only allow when charging, which suggests that bluetooth isn't chosen for battery reasons as it wouldn't matter if its charging.
[doublepost=1512343602][/doublepost]
I don’t think Apple has ever commented on why they use Bluetooth. I’m guessing it is security related. Since the watch is on the charger it can’t be a battery related issue.

Bluetooth 4.2 is faster than the 4.0 on the Series 2 but you’re right, 2GB will still take hours. I was pretty happy that I could transfer an 80mb podcast to my watch in 15 minutes. My Series 2 needed about 45 minutes. But even at that rate 2GB is going to take over 6 hours.

thats shocking, im sure lots of users want to copy a podcast every morning to listen to on the way to work, but 15 mins to copy it is mental.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

It's just plain insane. The amount of time needed to transfer even a handful of songs takes an hour. I bought my first Apple Watch in March and to this day have never bothered to place music on the watch other then the first time I tried it back in March. Apple has to come up with a better way to do such things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.