Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2005
The man who made The OC a vaguely viable idea (and if you didn't love the first season of The OC, even at an ironic distance -- for shame!) has passed.

Has anyone influenced detached, American pop-culturites as much as Aaron Spelling?

Such that (in no small part because of Aaron Spelling):

We are all dime novelists demanding our mourning.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I hate, HATE, Aaron Spelling shows, but I admire his influence on culture. I can't begin to fathom the impact he's had on U.S. television.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Looking back on his shows we all cringe. But i doubt there are any of us that haven't watched more than one episode of his creations.

Sure BH 90210 today is somewhat questionable, but in it's day it was a highly succesful show. Dynasty was a huge hit when it first aired and introduce many a new star, Melrose Place was a more modern 'yuppie' take on Dynasty and although today seems rather pathetic, back then it was in the limelight. And then theres Charmed, what can I say?

Thanks Aaron for the shows we now cringe and call crap, but were watching in the days gone by...

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
In an ironic twist, I was on the floor laughing at the camp hilary of "Charmed" Season 5 when I heard about this...

Love or hate his shows, everyone is right...he was and will be seen as a HUGE influence on American pop culture from the 70s-2000s...which is a feat few behind the scenes can claim with that sort of celebrity.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Oh, I'll agree his series were a big influence on popular culture, but criminey, the man held the undisputed record for the longest string of crappy hit TV shows in US history.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
treblah said:
What will Violet Bickerstaff do now?!?

What will Tori Spelling do now?

He was the only one protecting her from Hollywood pressing against her extreme anxiety. Anyone remember the Tori Spelling character in Grosse Pointe? Somehow, he influenced the people to tone it down. :D

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
meh, some one else will step up with fill the void with more substances crap to be mass consumed.

From the geniuses in Mindless Self Indulgence

"You're telling me that fifty million screaming fans are never wrong,
I'm telling you that fifty million screaming fans are ****ing morons"

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
treblah said:
I can't tell if you are joking but 'Violet Bickerstaff' was the name of Tori's character on 'Saved by the Bell'. :)

I don't remember that name, so I'm not joking. All I can say is that she's a bit scary in every role she does and worse in real life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.