Aarrghh, can't decide!!! High-13' MBP vs Mid-15' MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBP09, Jun 10, 2009.

1. MBP09 macrumors member

I'm the type of person who would like to carry my laptop around whenever i can. But it kills me that i might regret getting the 13' and wanted the real estate. Also the dedicated graphics might be a big plus if and when i decide to do some video editing or something that will require heavy graphics. But then again, it might not happen so i would be stuck with an overkill laptop that is too heavy to carry and regret getting the 15'. I have the money to get either one so it's no problem. This is also my first mac. I used to have an IBM T40 14' that weighs 4.9 lbs which i think is not so bad for the size but the weight somewhat sucks. I also have a great (somewhat high end) desktop that i use at home which i wouldn't think of using the Mac since I have a 24' inch monitor. So yea, i'm very undecided right now:apple:

2. kokesh macrumors regular

If you're going to carry it around with you as much as possible, the 13" will be more suitable (obviously). You said that the 4.9 lbs IBM that you have is kind of heavy, but realize that the 15" MBP is about 10% heavier than this IBM at 5.5 lbs. The 13" is 4.5 lbs. Neither one is really really light but if 4.9 lbs bothers you, then the 15" MBP is probably not for you.

Also, if portability and not performance is really your primary consideration, you might want to look at the MacBook Air. It has the same 13.3" screen size as the 13" MBP but is only 3 lbs. and insanely thin. Since you have a capable desktop computer, maybe a less capable notebook would be fine for you. The Air has the same graphics (nvidia 9400M) as the 13" and the low-end 15" MBP, so you wouldn't be losing much there. Of course it's not as quick as the MBP but you seem to be stressing portability.

My personal recommendation would be to go for the 13" MBP. It doesn't sound like you'll be doing much graphics-intensive work, so it might not make very much sense to get a bigger, 1 lb heavier computer just in case you do heavy video editing. It's not like you won't be able to do some video editing on a 13" MBP.

Also just so you know, an apostrophe means feet, not inches. You want quotation marks. :p

3. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

a 15' (ft) MBP that weighs 5.5 lbs whoo! now that's a sweet laptop lol!

Serious note, check out the refurbs, I just ordered the 2.53 15" MBP for 1449 with the 512 mb vid card uni body design.

4. MBP09 thread starter macrumors member

I guess i'm going to have to go to the Apple store and check the weight and screen size... Hopefully it will give me an idea if i should sacrifice portability for graphics or vice versa...