Abandon Airport Extreme for Cable Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hrothgar, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

So, I'm probably going to switch to Verizon Fios. They pretty much force me to use their "Gateway" combined modem/router. I've been using an Airport Extreme for many years.

What do most people do in this situation? Is streaming (iTunes on macbook pro, through router to amp) better with an Apple router?

Can I tether the Apple router to the Verizon Gateway so that I can hard-wire more devices?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@Hrothgar You can use the AirPort with the Verizon "gateway". Simply set the Verizon gateway to bridge mode and disable the wireless or use the AirPort in bridge mode.

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

For the best possible speed and low latency use an Ethernet Cat 6a cable:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable#Category_6A

...not WiFi/WLAN. I know that 2011+ Macs use 3 antennas (450 MBit/s+) and 5 GHz, but nothing beats Ethernet, if you have a glass fiber connection. 802.11ac does not beat Ethernet.

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

As Altemose said, you can still use the Airport with the Verizon modem/router equipment.

5. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.

I know that I can set the Gateway to "bridge" and continue to use my Airport. But should I?
    Does the Airport provide better compatability with my MacbookPro, streaming iTunes, airplay, etc.?

Otherwise, I assume that a new router from Verizon will be better than a 5-6 year old Airport.

Retro -- I don't really have an option of hard-wiring my laptop. The router is on the other side of the room.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

The router that Verizon supplies has poor wi-fi range and speeds. I had it one when I had FiOS.
    I suggest you get a nice new router like the Asus AC66 or AC68.
    I invested on an Asus AC68P router 6 months ago and I am glad I did. It was pricey ($170) but it was worth it to me.

7. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, I already have a router -- the airport extreme. What I need is a modem that will work with Verizon FIOS.

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

No need to get a new modem. The one supplied by Verizon should be good enough.

9. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, my goal is to avoid paying Verizon for a modem.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@Hrothgar I am not sure if Verizon allows you to use your own modem. We have Comcast and they have an approved list of modems you can use on the network. I recommend calling Verizon and asking if they have a list as well.

11. jnaeve, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015

jnaeve macrumors newbie

jnaeve

I'm surprised you're not going to use your AEBS as the primary router. Why are you using FiOS device instead? I've been a Verizon FiOS customer for 12 years and using an Airport Extreme directly connecting to their ONT for about 10 of those 12 years. I'm currently looking into whether there are issues pertaining to SIP through the Gen 6 AEBS but I would not use Verizon's "modem" for anything.

DO NOT talk to Verizon sales as they don't have a clue and will absolutely sell you a router. Tell them you want to talk to technical support, preferably level 2 or 3 so you get someone who asks whether your modem is plugged into the wall or not.

When you talk to the tech, tell them you have connected the WAN port of your AEBS directly to the Ethernet port of their ONT and that you'd like them to clear the MAC address from the ONT and refresh it. Once they've reset the ONT, it will latch onto the MAC address of your AEBS and assign an IP address. From that point forward, your AEBS will be the only router you need. If necessary, you may need to add an 8-port (or more) Gig-E hub to the AEBS in order to provide IP addresses to devices like your set-top boxes for FiOS or other peripherals but from this point, consider it done.

If you want to see a network scan utility, try "iNet" from the App Store, it will scan all devices on your network and help you manage whats connected by providing visibility because AEBS doesn't.

Hope this helps...

12. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

That Optical Network Terminal (ONT) is the fiber/copper interface point for the building. The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is a communications protocol for signaling and controlling multimedia communication sessions.

HTH...

(hope this helps)