Abandon all hope for an ATV 4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, Sep 9, 2014.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

So another keynote has come and gone with no hint at a newer Apple TV. Fact is the only mention Apple TV got was that Apple Watch can act as a remote.... Sad

ATV 2 prices probably went up another $200 on the ' bay.

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    No, now there's tangible reason for a new :apple:TV. Today, Apple announced 1080p at 60fps. :apple:TV3 is capped at 30fps. Either there is going to be frame removal so that there's no way to actually see 60fps via an :apple:TV or a new :apple:TV is coming that can play 1080p at 60fps video.

Back when :apple:TV2 was the latest, it clung to 720p for much too long. Only when the iPhone led the way by taking up 1080p did a new :apple:TV finally come along (not long thereafter). Now I expect a new :apple:TV4 soon (next few months).

3. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

What does the new iphone shooting at 1080p60 have anything to do with apple tv?

4. HobeSoundDarryl, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

:apple:TV2 was capped at 720p until
    iPhone came along that could shoot 1080p
    Shortly thereafter, :apple:TV3 launched with the main new feature being an ability to play 1080p

:apple:TV3 can't play 1080p60fps
    new iPhone 6s can shoot 1080p60fps. Thus,
    I expect new iPads that will share the same 1080p60fps capability soon and...
    a new :apple:TV4 that can play 1080p60fps

:apple:TV is Apple's playback device for moving video shot on iDevices to the big screen. Just as the jump to 1080p led to an :apple:TV3 update, the jump to 1080p60fps should lead to another… UNLESS, the :apple:TV3 has the hardware on board to play 60fps and Apple could turn it on with a software update. But, knowing Apple, I doubt they'd do that. Instead, they'll want to sell new hardware.

5. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

It is a matter of when not if there will be a new apple tv

6. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

7. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

Most tv/movies are shot at 24p though. The only thing that will benefit from 60p is sports, reality, and news programs.

I'm more looking forward to H.265 support so we can get higher quality videos.

8. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Perhaps we will see a new one at the October event when the iPads and Macs are updated. If not, it will be next year sometime when they decide to unveil their grand plan for ATV

9. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Sports will hugely benefit at 60fps. I've been shooting sporting events for years at 1080p 60fps and have them all rendered at 60fps for the day when an :apple:TV could play them at 60fps. Naturally, I'm pretty excited about the potential.

But, to your point, if Apple is going to finally come off of 30fps as the ONLY option, I would expect them to also adopt 24fps for movies. If they are going to do the work to make 60fps per second work, they might as well adopt the other mainstream standard too.

10. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

So, using this logic, the iPod lineup won't be seeing a refresh heading into the holidays either...

More than likely there will be another presentation in October for the new iPods/iPads. If the Apple TV isn't updated then, THEN we can "abandon all hope" at least for a few months.

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I don't expect there to be any new iPods, let alone a presentation devoted to them.

12. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Add another punch for a new :apple:TV4...

Best I know, this is the first official implementation of h.265 in Apple hardware. Again, previously a new video step within a new iPhone (finally moving from 720p to 1080p) led to a new :apple:TV that could play that 1080p.

Now we have a newer iPhone that can shoot 1080p60fps AND has an implementation of h.265 inside too. Current :apple:TVs can't play 60fps and don't use h.265. So now I anticipate a new :apple:TV soon (months, maybe next month?) with at least the 60fps part addressed and probably with h.265 as well.

I would further guess that if they are going to do the work to adopt 60fps, they'll also adopt native 24fps for movie playback.

Of course, there might be some chance that a software update could bring such features to the :apple:TV3 but I bet Apple would rather sell new hardware.

13. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Then next year event in June no mention then September event no mention then October again no mention then we wait until next year rinse and repeat.

I am glad I got a refurbished ATV3 last year from the Apple store or I would still be waiting.

14. carterja macrumors newbie

I am betting they will eventually update the AppleTV with AC wireless...

15. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

The iPods have had more regular refreshes than the Apple TV. It took years for new content Chanel to be added.

ATV is not a new category like the Apple Watch, so I see no reason why the new software for it wasn't introduced at WWDC if indeed a new ATV is coming this year.

16. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

The put all their resources into iOS8 to meet the iPhone 6/6+ launch. Otherwise, you'd be seeing OS X Yosemite launching at the same time so they could hype up Continuity. Next up will be finishing off Yosemite for its launch, probably next month, and any final touches on the :apple:Watch.

Then, MAYBE, they'll have the resources to get cranking on the ATV.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This, it's gotta be coming next month.

Apple isn't ignoring it, they even mentioned control via Watch during keynote.

18. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Apple could update the internals of the Apple TV and give the software a face lift (personally, I don't like how it arranges Movies/TV Shows . If that is the case, why would it need to be shown at WWDC? Rather, why waste time on at at the WWDC when there is nothing to develop for the ATV?

I think it is possible that when Apple updates the iPod line this fall Tim will mention that a new model of ATV will be available. This new model will include a A7 chip or something and have 16GB of storage. Then, at WWDC '15 they mention that ATV will be getting the App store with iOS 9.

19. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

They already release movies/tv in 24p on itunes. Interlaced sources get encoded at 30 fps, these will benefit from the move to 60p.

It's always been this way. The apple tv just doesn't have the ability to output to the tv at 24hz like a blu-ray player or HTPC can.

20. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Device compatibility.