Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
i've had my Apple Watch since the first units went on sell. My problem, I keep forgetting my watch at home in the morning. I never seem to remember it and never seem to miss it through the day.

What am I missing? Just seems like not much there to need it as a device. I don't care about the ‘circles’ or other exercise stuff.

Figure my Apple Watch has sat on the charger for three months at this point.

Any ideas on what I can do to make it a worthwhile device?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Try to wear it as a watch for a few weeks. Then you might know whether it is worthwhile or not.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I wore jawbone move step counters for years, Fitbits, and then upgraded to an Apple Watch. The watch is by far one of the more used things in my life. Not only just for exercise but for iMessage notifications, weather, Sunrise/sunset, the ability to be notified of a call (I keep my phone on silent all the time), and the ability to see my sleep quality, heart rate, being reminded to drink water (water minder), starting timers while attempting to cook or to remember something, notifications when my wife, friends, family exercise (those who have Apple Watch) - motivation to get off my butt and exercise, and Voice Record to record little tidbits to remember later.

I participate in the Apple Heart study. Over 1800 contributions at this point.

I have run more in the last 6 months than I have in my life combined.

AW3 GPS only.

Last edited:

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Sell it. I did.

Nobody -needs- a watch, but some people like the information it gives. If you're not the type of person who cares about all the information the watch gives, sell it. For me the money from selling it was worth a lot more to me than what the watch was.

I definitely don't need to be reminded to drink water or to exercise or anything. Some people like that kind of thing, I just find it annoying. Same reason my old car was sold with a cracked centre LCD screen - It was punched after reminding me that "roads may be icy" in Winter or some other inane ******** that you'd have to be an idiot to not realise. I find it demeaning.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Sell it. I did.

Nobody -needs- a watch, but some people like the information it gives. If you're not the type of person who cares about all the information the watch gives, sell it. For me the money from selling it was worth a lot more to me than what the watch was.

I definitely don't need to be reminded to drink water.

I envy you. I do wish I could do what you do. I sit at a desk all day programming on a computer. Hours fly by and usually to the detriment of my health. It has made a huge difference for me :).

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I envy you. I do wish I could do what you do. I sit at a desk all day programming on a computer. Hours fly by and usually to the detriment of my health. It has made a huge difference for me :).

Everybody is different, nobodies approach to such things is correct or wrong. Some people find the watch is essential, that's great, but it's not everyone. If you're not one of those people, there is no point trying to make the watch essential for you, there's no point.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
i've had my Apple Watch since the first units went on sell. My problem, I keep forgetting my watch at home in the morning. I never seem to remember it and never seem to miss it through the day.

What am I missing? Just seems like not much there to need it as a device. I don't care about the ‘circles’ or other exercise stuff.

Being You’re having to ask advice why you should be convinced otherwise to keep your Apple Watch, then I think you should sell it. Not because it’s not a good device, but just because you’re not find usefulness out of it and somebody else might. The Apple Watch is nog for everyone, at least you gave it the opportunity to see if it was for you, which it appears it was not.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

This. Right. Here.

I am the same way... often head down, engrossed in the current project ... without the gentle nudge to "stand up", "breathe", etc... I'd be in far worse shape than I am.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
77E3CB2C-4EE8-4CF7-AD54-28ACADF3B962.jpeg
Why I love the watch

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Sell it. I did.

I definitely don't need to be reminded to drink water or to exercise or anything. Some people like that kind of thing, I just find it annoying. Same reason my old car was sold with a cracked centre LCD screen - It was punched after reminding me that "roads may be icy" in Winter or some other inane ******** that you'd have to be an idiot to not realise. I find it demeaning.

Thanks everyone for the input. This sort of sums up my feelings. I think all the heath stuff would be great if I cared about my health. Sounds like it just isn't a product for me.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
This sounds like my mother in-law with her iPhone. She uses it so infrequently that when she puts it down the thing gets “lost”. Sure, she needs a phone but not a smartphone. The only reason she got it was because she liked the look of it (like a piece of jewellery) and wanted to feel young and trendy. Technology doesn’t suit everyone.

halluxsinister

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2017
Have you ever heard the expression "a solution looking for a problem?" Sounds like you have a "purchase looking for a retroactive justification." I myself have never found one, and so don't have an iWatch. I have a regular one. If you don't currently own a wristwatch you like, and want the weight, or to wear one as an accessory, perhaps you should try buying a regular watch. It could also be that you are leaving the thing at home because you don't have much use for it, not because there's nothing it can do for you, but nothing you'd rather have it do for you than something else, like your actual iPhone, OR there are things you don't bother asking it to do because perhaps battery consumption would be high enough that you're anxious about it crapping out and dying on you while you're out and about, and then it can't do what you wanted or needed it to do.

MY ADVICE TO YOU: go back and re-watch (no pun intended) Apple's various ads and tutorials for the iWatch, and see if any of that seems like a good idea, something worth trying out. But the sad truth is, to my mind, anyway, that the iWatch does very little on its own without the iPhone, what it CAN do mostly your iPhone can do too, making it frankly, redundant, and just another thing to remember to charge. Bear in mind, that in an iDeal World, (from Apple's perspective, you understand,) you would wake in the morning, and your Apple iPillow would detect you've awakened, (the idea here is to have those sensors to track your sleep, figure out when you're awake, and likely to hoist your head from OFF your iPillow, so as to notify the WiFi and Bluetooth enabled iCafe in the kitchen as to the ideal moment to start brewing your morning coffee, and your iFridge and iStove when the optimal moment is to crack the eggs, and begin frying them up for you. A fresh orange rolls through a rainbow hued tube towards the iJuicer...

After stumbling into the bathroom, you stand on the iMat in front of your toilet, and urinate, (or sit on it, depending on your own personal anatomy and preferences). The toilet is of course, an ordinary toilet, but the SEAT is the new Apple iSeat, a $289.95 internet connected seat that in conjunction with the mat, analyze your weight, body-fat, the amount of urine and/or other materials deposited in the toilet, and automatically not only track this information for Health purposes, but also monitor hydration, renal function, presence of sugar, ketones, proteins, bilirubin, etc., in your waste, and (with your permission that it will nag you for again and again if you don't give it when you're told to,) share it with your doctor. After you wipe your ass, (you still have to do that yourself, sorry... though Microsoft does offer toilet paper made from recycled Windows 8 and 8.1 manuals they had laying around...) you put on your Apple iNtimates, underwear that constantly monitors your reproductive organs for optimal function and peak fertility, in case, you know, you want to invoke the re_produce() function call. You shave (or not,) and brush your hair with devices Apple has sold you to monitor hair growth rate and health, to help you achieve the greatest degrees of body and sheen, as well as telling you when you need to condition it, or if you're overdoing it, and help avoid burning it with either the iCurler or Blowedr iEr. (Get it? Blow Dr... I... er?)

Donning your Apple Watch, Apple Belt (helps keep track of girth at the waist and amount of force required to ensure adequate static friction to hold your pants from slipping off,) and iPants, you say, "Hey Siri, which color shirt should I wear today," and seven different devices argue with each other about which one you were talking to; meanwhile, your iSocks are already hard at work to ensure that, in conjunction with your Space-Grey iShoes, your feet and toes have adequate circulation, ventilation, and arch support, and open and close small water-resistant vents to keep them dry and comfortable, and (if you splurge and buy the iSocks X,) automatic fungus, mold, and stench detection and remediation.

Then gathering up all the Apple products you will carry on your person indirectly using pockets, your ears, bandoliers, necklaces or straps, and slipping your iPads into your bra if you use one, (yeah, in the near future, iPad will refer to at least two different KINDS of products...) or into your backpack or cargo pockets, depending on which you use, and putting on your iGlasses, (yep...) you grab your key-chain, (which at this point has half a dozen different RF fobs on it, and your mailbox key, which you still have one of for some reason, and get half way to where your Apple Car is parked, when you realize you somehow forgot your iPhone.

Oh, and also the Apple Belt didn't fully charge for some damned reason, (the Eruption jack must be dirty again, or maybe you simply neglected to update to beltOS 3.9.1b,) one of your earPods is crackling, but there's nothing wrong with it, the Genius Squad guy told you last week, it's a feature that lets you know you're wearing iGlasses and earPods at the same time, which you're sure is not a feature but a bug, but since Apple doesn't discuss bugs for security reasons, you're not really sure, you just know this:

You simply can't live without ANY ONE of your Apple iProducts. Oh, and in this marvelous future, people like me still exist, and still are banging on about how it has now been 17 years since the last refresh of the Mac Mini, and it's pretty appallingly stone-aged now, since the earPods have more processing power, memory, storage, and better WiFi than the Mini, which is what's so odd about the fact that they are still charging $499 for the base model.

But I've digressed. Hopefully you got a chuckle, and an idea for how to address your problem of having an Apple device that you don't actually seem to have a use for. OH!

Have you considered starting a collection of obsolete Apple devices, and make a little shrine to them in an alcove in the hallway off the living-room, perhaps under a backdrop of Steve Jobs stroking his chin thoughtfully in his trademarked black turtleneck iSweater? You could festoon it with 30 pin connecting cables, Apple Cinema Display connectors, and other proprietary things that Apple insisted you had to use with their products and then unceremoniously abandoned, like MagSafe 1 and soon, 2...

Sorry, I'm in a weird mood, even for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks everyone for the input. This sort of sums up my feelings. I think all the heath stuff would be great if I cared about my health. Sounds like it just isn't a product for me.

I think you don’t _need_ the watch in order to care about your health, which is something is that should be a consideration anyways for the sake of being healthy. But the watch is a great tool for motivation and tracker to see if someone has reached their goals. Many have had positive results achieved due to the watch. But there are many other features it executes rather well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.