Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Walt Disney announced that they will be adding content from ESPN and ABC sports shows to Apple's iTunes Music Store.

Walt Disney said on Tuesday that the content will include condensed versions of all four U.S. Bowl Championship Series college football games this season, as well as content from ABC Entertainment, Touchstone Television, ABC Family, ABC News, Buena Vista Television, the Disney Channel and SOAPnet.

Disney reports that "America's Funniest Home Videos" as well as the 1970's "School House Rock" clips will be available on iTunes later this month.

This follows on the heels of Vongo's announcement for a $9.95/month unlimited movie download service. Vongo's has reportedly been in talks with Apple about providing support for Vongo on the Mac/iPod... but Apple has yet to express interest in it.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
great. more evidence against a Mac with an integrated TV tuner. oh well, I'll just have to plug an Eye TV into a mini... when I become more monied than I am currently of course :)

Comment

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
The ESPN part intrigues me.

This way, I dont have to stay up or worry about missing sports center in the morning. I could just have it on my ipod and then im off with the highlights in hand. It sure would make the train in or waiting in the airport less taxing.

Comment

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Overall a positive for Apple, the vision of iTunes, and a legal channel to download content. It's only a matter of time before movies are available.

Who knows, we may see an announcement soon!

Comment

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Jesus said:
Great, I just want this in the uk

Exactly what i was thinking!!!

anyway its good to see iTunes content library growing so quickly in the video department, it will surely be a force to be reckoned with in years to come and i can certainly see video downloads changing the way TV is watched in the years to come....

SHadOW

Comment

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Are there anyone outside US that can buy these clips???
Apple should seriously try to persuade TV comp to open this service for countries outside US. It should be in Apple's interest to get as big market share as possible before other players enter. Monopoly never lasts.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
How soon before competitive price pressures start chipping away at these initial prices?

My guess is that Apple will stick with its pricing model and expect that being a market leader and offering a quality product will keep it from having to play price-matching games.

Comment

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
amac4me said:
Overall a positive for Apple, the vision of iTunes, and a legal channel to download content. It's only a matter of time before movies are available.

Who knows, we may see an announcement soon!

not until the iPods get good enough batteries that you can watch a 2 1/2 hour movie and still be able to listen to your music for the rest of the day. when that happens I fully expect time-stamped "rentals" for maybe $2.99 a title, and then you can get a copy that does not expire for standard shelf price.

in the meantime, use MacTheRipper/HandBrake to rip movies you *legally own* to H.264 and copy them to your iPod.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Although pay-per-song (and own forever) makes sense for music, for TV shows, I want subscription (sorta like Vongo).

Comment

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Why is it a shot in the foot? This I don't get. In fact, the way I see it, the more video content, the BETTER chance (although it's more likely to be BTO rather than standard). Why? Apple knows people already have their services. They know they don't have everything. More shows means Apple is SERIOUSLY pushing video. The DVR means that *anything* you see on TV can work with your iPod. That means content galore. The more video Apple wants to get on iTunes, the more you can see they are pushing video.

Besides, if you miss an episode of a show, then you can buy it off iTunes :D

Comment

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
nutmac said:
Although pay-per-song (and own forever) makes sense for music, for TV shows, I want subscription (sorta like Vongo).

In the past I'd say that, but now that we have video iPods, I'd want to keep the videos. I prefer to buy DVD's rather than rent, usually.

Comment

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
GFLPraxis said:
Why is it a shot in the foot? This I don't get. In fact, the way I see it, the more video content, the BETTER chance (although it's more likely to be BTO rather than standard). Why? Apple knows people already have their services. They know they don't have everything. More shows means Apple is SERIOUSLY pushing video. The DVR means that *anything* you see on TV can work with your iPod. That means content galore. The more video Apple wants to get on iTunes, the more you can see they are pushing video.

Besides, if you miss an episode of a show, then you can buy it off iTunes :D

that's true, but Apple including DVR would be cutting into their own market. if you could quickly and intelligently record anything you wanted for free, why would you buy Apple's overpriced TV shows? it would be like iTunes including a radio tuner that could record any music you wanted for free. or- uh, CD ripping capability... :rolleyes:

ok, well I still say it's true when applied to video.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Schoolhouse Rocks!!! Awesome.

I'd buy Interjection! and Conjunction Junction.

Comment

Air Cargo

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Chicago
Watching TV shows outside US

Dr.Gargoyle said:
Are there anyone outside US that can buy these clips???
Apple should seriously try to persuade TV comp to open this service for countries outside US. It should be in Apple's interest to get as big market share as possible before other players enter. Monopoly never lasts.

I couldn't agree with your more that Apple and TV companies need to do somthing for the rest of the world! In the meantime, another way to download/watch them is to have friends buy prepaid cards from the various Apple stores in USA and send to you. I have my friends purchase the cards and then send me the scratch code numbers via email, which saves the cost of postage ;)

I then edit my account to show a US address and with no credit card! I am then able todownload all the content I need :) I normally purchase $200 at a time, which lasts me about 2-3 months.

Cheers and happy downloading!

Comment

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
I think full length movies are stupid. The kind of content that Apple is releasing right now appeals to me way more than watching my tiny iPod screen for 2-3 hours. I don't think we'll see movies until an actual video iPod is released (which could be fairly soon, at the latest next holiday season).

Comment

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Gherkin said:
I think full length movies are stupid. The kind of content that Apple is releasing right now appeals to me way more than watching my tiny iPod screen for 2-3 hours. I don't think we'll see movies until an actual video iPod is released (which could be fairly soon, at the latest next holiday season).

agreed. lame lame. I got my PSP. Full Lenght movies on that puppy kick ass.

Comment

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I JUST WANT 24. i don't buy movies on itms (yet) but if they put 24 there, that will all change.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.