Ability to create an MMS app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjandnw, Jun 22, 2007.

1. cjandnw macrumors 6502

I do not have the skills to accomplish this. But in an earlier thread, some members indicated the ability to create an app for MMS is possible.
    Has anyone been working on this?

THX, I need my MMS :p

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

3. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

I love being able to email pics, docs etc to EMAIL accounts. But my circle of friends love to MMs short vids and pics. Most have regular phones and the MMS is the extreme of their techsavvyness.
    What would happen if an MMS was received by iphone.
    I imagine one could email the MMS like this:

recipient: 5555551212@mms.mycingular.com
    verizon 5555551212@vtext.com
    tmo: 5555551212@tmomail.net

save these with your contaacts frequently MMS's and send that way. Only issue, the pics and docs may need to be resized
    Any thoughts?

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

the problem with sending SMS/MMS via the web is that the web server would need a GSM modem, use some sort of SMS gateway (costs about 25 cents per message to send, depending on the provider it's sending to) or you fake it by sending an email to the cell phone. option 3 is the cheapest (free) but the user will have to select which cell provider the person they're sending to has, and i don't know about you, but i don't know who everyone i talk to uses. you can "guess" at provider based on area code and prefix, which would have been great 5 years ago, but with number portability now you might not always get it right. SMS and MMS messages are more complex then people think. they're basically a fancy XML document, but have a lot of important data that is needed to be pretty much exact for the messages to get where they need to go (like carrier codes, etc).

of course someone could set up an account with a company that has a gateway and pay the per credit price and allow all iPhone users to send out messages that way. but unless they feel like throwing away a ton of money, they'll either need to charge users, or have some advertising on board to help cover their costs.

5. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Depends a lot on the phone, but I think most phones could accept it via email.

6. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

As far as creating a 3rd party web app for Safari, any thoughts?

7. kamiboy macrumors 6502

Can't be done.

So far as I know Ajax Apps are sandboxed and so they can't access your iPhone to retrieve any photo file or any such crap, not to mention it does absolutly not have any access to the phone hardware in order to be able to send the damn thing via the cellular network.

Forget about MMS, it is a mostly nieche and useless feature anyway. Simply accept that despite the advances of the iPhone it does not have MMS. Maybe, just maybe if enough people b*** about it enough it might be added in a future firmware update, but then instead of doing it on forums do it in an e-mail to Apple.

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

it can be done, it'll just be VERY expensive for the person hosting the app. if it gets heavy usage, it could end up costing them 10's of thousands of dollars a month.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

it can be done. you can use the <intput type="file"> control to get the image onto the webserver first, then use any of the methods i described above to send the message. there are already plenty of sites that do this, just not iPhone optimized. but it's more trouble then it's worth.

I agree that MMS is "useless" but then again I'm not a teenager. apparently MMS is huge with teens (i'm only talking US here, i know nothing of foreign cellular markets). but i also never use SMS either.

10. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I can attest to that!
    I miss my MMS =(

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    iPhone Safari doesn't allow the type="file" control.

As for those who say to use email in place of MMS, they could also say use email in place of SMS. Makes just as little sense. The purpose of email and instant messaging are quite different, and for different types of users. My mother doesn't have an email address, but is quite happy to get an MMS with pics of her grandkid.

12. ~Phi macrumors regular

I definitely miss MMS too. I really wish Apple would just enable it.