Ability to delete pics...?

Gix1k

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Is there a Cydia app that allows to delete pics, music or anything for that matter w/out using iTunes?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well... there's iFile (paid, I forget how much it is), but you need to know where the files are located in the iPhone file system. And deleting music without iTunes would do wierd things to your music database, so I wouldn't recommend doing that.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Is there a Cydia app that allows to delete pics, music or anything for that matter w/out using iTunes?
That would be very hard, since all the pictures are stored in a single .ithmb file. And deleting music would require editing the database and recalculating the checksums on the database, etc. It's possible, since it's all algorithmic, but it would not be easy and it would be likely to corrupt your whole library in the process. It would be much better if Apple included the feature in a future update.

Gix1k

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I hate the fact that I crap I sync to it is there until I get back to the very PC I used to put it on. Hell, atleast give me the ability to sync with ANY iTunes (w/out a hack), so I can remove what I don't want. Maybe I'll go enter that feedback on their site.

redman042

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2008
Word of advice: Don't use iFile (or any other means) to mess with your camera roll, music, videos, etc. You can find all these items buried in directories in your file system, but what you may not know is that they are also all tracked in iPhone databases. If you add, move, or delete anything, it will cause weird problems. I tried adding a photo to my camera roll using iFile, but after that any photos taken with the phone didn't show up in the roll.

To clear this up, I had to move all my camera roll items to my PC and wipe the phone of all photos (plus manually delete the photo database). But now I don't have any of my previously shot videos on my phone (which iTunes won't let you sync back).

So even on a Jailbroken iPhone, there are certain things you don't want to mess with outside of iTunes sync.

iPhone-power

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
I hate the fact that I crap I sync to it is there until I get back to the very PC I used to put it on. Hell, atleast give me the ability to sync with ANY iTunes (w/out a hack), so I can remove what I don't want. Maybe I'll go enter that feedback on their site.
Are you really in that big a hurry to remove something ? :rolleyes:

Of course, you could carry a laptop around with you :p

nauen

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
so i have deleted all my Photos.

/var/mobile/Media/DCIM
/var/mobile/Media/PhotoData

have to deleted (over SSH, iFile or MobileTerminal)

Then take a Photo, the iPhone will create a new cameraroll.