Ability to delete pics...?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Gix1k, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Is there a Cydia app that allows to delete pics, music or anything for that matter w/out using iTunes?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well... there's iFile (paid, I forget how much it is), but you need to know where the files are located in the iPhone file system. And deleting music without iTunes would do wierd things to your music database, so I wouldn't recommend doing that.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That would be very hard, since all the pictures are stored in a single .ithmb file. And deleting music would require editing the database and recalculating the checksums on the database, etc. It's possible, since it's all algorithmic, but it would not be easy and it would be likely to corrupt your whole library in the process. It would be much better if Apple included the feature in a future update.

4. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I hate the fact that I crap I sync to it is there until I get back to the very PC I used to put it on. Hell, atleast give me the ability to sync with ANY iTunes (w/out a hack), so I can remove what I don't want. Maybe I'll go enter that feedback on their site.

5. redman042 macrumors 68020

Word of advice: Don't use iFile (or any other means) to mess with your camera roll, music, videos, etc. You can find all these items buried in directories in your file system, but what you may not know is that they are also all tracked in iPhone databases. If you add, move, or delete anything, it will cause weird problems. I tried adding a photo to my camera roll using iFile, but after that any photos taken with the phone didn't show up in the roll.

To clear this up, I had to move all my camera roll items to my PC and wipe the phone of all photos (plus manually delete the photo database). But now I don't have any of my previously shot videos on my phone (which iTunes won't let you sync back).

So even on a Jailbroken iPhone, there are certain things you don't want to mess with outside of iTunes sync.

6. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Are you really in that big a hurry to remove something ? :rolleyes:

Of course, you could carry a laptop around with you :p

7. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Yes

8. nauen macrumors newbie

so i have deleted all my Photos.

/var/mobile/Media/DCIM
    /var/mobile/Media/PhotoData

have to deleted (over SSH, iFile or MobileTerminal)

Then take a Photo, the iPhone will create a new cameraroll.