ability to revert back to mac os x 10.6.3 if update causes problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sossity, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 65816

I have had my macbook pro for a week, & so far so good, it currently has snowleopard 10.6.3, since it does not have an internet connection right now, I downloaded the 10.6.4 update from the pc in our home onto a thumb drive.

If I install the update, & start to have problems on my macbook pro of any sort, is there a way I can go back to 10.6.3?

I just think of the saying if it is not broken do not fix it, & so far I have had no trouble with 10.6.3.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Clone your drive onto a backup drive. You should always have a backup.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Only ERASE AND INSTALL can revert back the Mac OS X version with Mac OS X 10.6.

Or you can clone the current Mac OS X 10.6.3 to an external HDD via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, and if you experience problems with 10.6.4, you can always clone back.

Btw, what software do you have that you are afraid of having problems with 10.6.4?

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

I looked up the update, & read about some of the problems people were having like fonts screwed up, bad internet connection etc.

right now, I keep my vital data on external hard drives, & just have the os, & apps on the macbook.

can I copy/clone to a 250 gb hard drive, if the content on my macbook pros 500 gb hard drive does not exceed 250 gb?

can I edit movies projects & photos from an external hard drive & save them to the external hard drive?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes and Yes.

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

can I also back up the os to a blank DVD? I clicked around the system & found this option.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

DVDs only hold up to 7GB. an installed OS is way higher than that.