Ability to use disk space with the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by irishgrizzly, May 21, 2009.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

This is the one thing I miss being able to do with my iPod. Is there a reason Apple left this out? I've played around with loads of file manager apps, but find them more hassle then they're worth. (I know that if I was to jailbreak I might get this function, but I don't want to go down that road).

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because Apple doesn't seem to like anything that may help customers circumvent iTunes. :cool:

iPhone Drive will give you this option I believe.

3. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I don't understand the general description "hassle". I currently use "Files" from the AppStore. I also downloaded "AirShare" when it was free, and it does the same thing. Both are pretty damn transparent to use, and I actually PREFER it to physically connecting my phone to the computer.

Moreover, you don't even NEED to have a WiFi network available to connect your computer to your phone, you just need to set-up a connection on your computer, create a "Computer-to-Computer" network, and your iPhone can wirelessly connect to it (it will show up in your hotspot list). I did this while I was on a plane and wanted to view some PDFs on my iPhone, on my laptop. Worked without much effort at all without leaving airplane mode.

I'm not sure what kind of "hassle" anyone else hasbeen through, but I'm actually glad Apple didn't rush to re-institute "hard disk" mode for the iPodTouch/iPhone. These new options feel much better, and eliminate any confusion over accessing the media. It'd be nice to access the media section... but its never been a big deal for me.

~ CB

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ To each is own, some people value disk mode from earlier times and wish to have it back. I am one of those people.

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Everyone would be wise to avoid using this application as a reliable option moving forward. It is $20 and as such 4 times more expensive, and yet represents something that is hard to maintain, and may not work as new updates are released.
    And what advantage does "disk mode" give you over what I've suggested?

~ CB

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Combative tonight aren't we? ;)

iPhone drive is an option and with every piece of software you run the risk of it not being compatible with a system upgrade. Buyer beware in every case, even with applications that are better known and widely used. Hell, I vaguely recall OSX not supporting my camera's RAW files for months after its release due to a system update. So yeah, risk is there everywhere.

I did not say that your methods were bunk. Hell, I downloaded airshare within the same week I believe it came out and continue to use it with ease when needed. I didn't say your methods sucked, I said "to each is own" and sometimes in life people who are used to doing something one way would like to continue to use that method. It's human nature to want to be comfortable. I understand that AirShare and other applications will give the OP what he wants but who the hell are you to say that his request is at all absurd? So he wants disk mode ... hell I want a freaking cupcake ... we want what we want.

But just to keep peace, the applications you have mentioned are hugely awesome and they work just as described. I highly recommend them since disk mode is not available, or you can buy a program that gives you disk mode. To each ... is own. ;)

7. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

For me the hassle is that when I want to share something the other machine often doesn't have bluetooth/wifi. This is normally because it's an older machine or in a secure environment where they're not allowed.

8. hbg macrumors regular

Stupid question, but do you have to jailbreak your phone to use the iPhone as a disk?

9. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Got it. That's an important factor. Are you using Windows? Which older version of the operating systems do you generally have trouble with? I guess one of the supplements I'd done, is to simple carry a 2GB USB stick on my keychain for those specific moments. They're really small these days and more reliable to mount than my old iPod used to be given the various issues that started creeping up, especially with Vista.

For newer OS with WiFi, you can't get more hassle free than a shortcut or dock alias. Both Files and Airshare, for instance, use a Bonjour name for your iPhone, so no matter what the network, its always the same name to link to it... like, "iPhone-3G.local". That development was very good for me. One click, and its mounted, drag-and-drop, and eject. I generally keep "Files" on the first page of my iPhone apps.

The nicest part is being able to review all of my documents from my iPhone... which the old "diskmode" never did. I particularly liked copying eBooks (like documentation) and Excel files. Much more enhanced usability.
    I believe the answer is "no" in all cases. It certainly is in the case of the avalanche of AppStore solutions for this purpose. I recommend the WebDav-capable variants.

~ CB

10. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Nope, just responding to post. Maybe you're taken aback by assertiveness? You have to just roll with it.
    Don't candy coat this. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just stating the facts. Phone View operates in a way that is NOT APPROVED by Apple, so... by that fact alone, it strikes me a dubious by storing files in places where files are such files are not supposed to be according to Apple.

That said, I went and downloaded the latest version of Phone View and checked it out. I looked over the FAQ and version history. Understandably, there appeared to be a lag in support when major architecture changes were introduced to the iPhone OS, but for the most part, ECamm seems committed to making updates, provides a downloadable trial, and is transparent about what does not work with and what problems and limitations the software has. This is a great sign, but I would not count on this to help me out in a pinch.

I think you're reading into my posts. Try picturing me without an angry or sarcastic expression on my face.

I never said anything resembling this.

iPhone Drive was renamed to MegaPhone and then to Phone View. Personally, I do not believe that the primary purpose of Phone View should be so that you can copy files to-and-from your iPhone. I think its main benefit, is for those who want GREATER access to the files and records on their iPhone. If I used a proprietary/unapproved method to copy files to and from my iPhone, I'd feel queasy about my productivity considering I would only use the tool occassionally. When I needed it, I would need it, and I would be happy getting an error, or finding out an update to iTunes, iPhone OS, or Mac OS (or any combination thereof) has interrupted my access.

As an exercise, here are Phone View's limitations/benefits (as a disk mode product):

Phone View (official website)
    http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

Furthermore, Ecamm recommends TouchCopy for PC users:

Touch Copy
    http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/

At the end of the day, solutions like AirShare or Files, have these limitations/benefits:

I was looking, and there's simply a billion of these apps on the App Store. "Documents" is another good one that offers a "FREE" version. Let's you "edit" many of the document types with built-in editors, which is nice, as well as allowing you to email them from within your iPhone/iPod Touch as attachments, take new photos, etc.

It's funny, but someone could probably do an ongoing "round-up" of all "File" or "disk-mode" options for the iPhone. It seems the list is spinning out new entries every minute. Even though only "Phone View" allows you to work via USB, I'm not sure this is very persuasive over simply using a USB thumb drive on your keychain.

~ CB

11. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

e-mail transferred files?

Hi guys-

Hope no one thinks this is too peripheral to the discussion, and bear with me for never having owned any cell phone.

After you transfer a file from your laptop to iPhone, using one of the Apps mentioned in this thread, is there any way to attach it to an e-mail message sent from the iPhone? If this were the case, I wouldn't care so much about whether Softbank in Japan allows tethering.

Thanks!:)

12. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

If you go to http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/, and look at the third article down, Apple has displayed a new App for the 3.0 Software that allows you to manage files and attach files to emails. You will be able to download it for free from the App store.
    The article is titled: "WWDC Tidbits: iDisk iPhone App, No ZFS Support in Snow Leopard Server?"
    [​IMG]

13. Jamz00 macrumors member

14. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Why wouldnt they? Its a negligible amount of disk space, unless you have 42 billion contacts...

15. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Hey wait, I just noticed that iDisk (post # 13 ) requires a MobileMe subscription!
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g/more-features.html
    Why can't the rest of us store files on our phone and attach to emails? :confused:
    How come only people who fork out $99 to Apple's MobileMe get to do this?
    It seems like a simple App that is essentially just a "My Documents" folder on the iPhone.

16. redman042 macrumors 68020

With OS 3.0 and proper support of the app (almost assured for most major apps) you will be able to attach files to emails.

17. redman042 macrumors 68020

I take the simple approach to storing files on my iPhone. I just email them to my Yahoo account and have folders for saved items that I can access at any time.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No, but the phone will get heavier if you add contacts/music to it.