Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
My iPhone has been having some hardware problems [not related to JB] and I need to go to the Apple store to exchange. I'm assuming it'll probably come with 4.3 on the phone [hopefully not], but if it does, can I downgrade it to 4.2?

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
First there is no 4.2 for the iphone, it's 4.2.1.

Second, you aren't downgrading to 4.2.1 unless you have shshs for 4.2.1.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have SHSHs on my current 4.2.1 iPhone...but that wouldn't be able to work on a different iPhone right?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Whatever iphone you get now from the apple store you will not be able to save its shsh blobs for anything prior to 4.3
It might come with 4.2.1 and you will be able to JB it if it does but if you need to restore it you will never be able to go back to anything older than 4.3
Unless offcourse you're one of those super lucky ones that the previous owner of the refurb started saving its shsh blobs before and you can then have them available.

red0n

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2009
Whatever iphone you get now from the apple store you will not be able to save its shsh blobs for anything prior to 4.3
It might come with 4.2.1 and you will be able to JB it if it does but if you need to restore it you will never be able to go back to anything older than 4.3
Unless offcourse you're one of those super lucky ones that the previous owner of the refurb started saving its shsh blobs before and you can then have them available.

Apple changes the ECID when they refurbish old iPhones. No previously saved SHSH files will work even if the previous user did save them.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Apple changes the ECID when they refurbish old iPhones. No previously saved SHSH files will work even if the previous user did save them.

Not on every refurb unit.
There's plenty of people that got refurbs and when they fired up TinyUmbrella they had shsh blobs saved on Cydia from 4.0 all the way to 4.2.1;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.