Able to use iPhone without SIM card?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nobodyhome, Jun 20, 2009.

1. nobodyhome macrumors member

BACK STORY: Went through a lot of trouble with Apple and they sent us a new iPhone... Water damage included. Go figure. They said we could keep the phone at no extra charge and we would get a replacement phone. Surprise! So here we are with an extra phone and no way to use it. OH! It's not the new 3GS phone. Just the predecessor.

THE QUESTION: My question is if there's a way to be able to use the phone (with the new 3.0 software) as just your basic jailbroken iPhone without network services (plays music, movies, maybe a game app or two, etc.). No expectations for compass, 3G internet, phone calls, yadda, yadda... Would like to be able to use it on WiFi though...

CURRENTLY: I plug it into iTunes, but it demands a SIM card. If there's an answer out there I'd really like to hear it! Thanks for any help! :)

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Put the sim from your new iPhone into it. Restart and connect to iTunes. Once it activates, take the card out. When you restart it it will alert you that there is no sim, but it will work just fine, lacking cell service, of course.