able to walk in and get a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lfetsch, Jul 9, 2010.

1. lfetsch macrumors newbie

Has the demand on the iphone gone down enough for me to just walk into an apple store and pick one up?

2. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

It depends on the specific store.

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Think that might depend on your area. I was able to walk in and buy one on the retail store launch day.

4. MaGnUae macrumors newbie

I'm wondering the same thing in London stores :confused:

5. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

In the university city I live in, lines (2) on launch day were reported as 600 people long, all day. Just a few miles from home it's easy for me to visit. Strangely today the store was only half full, and people were able to simply walk in a buy one. Was this a fluke, or has word of Apples woes impacted demand? I do see far more Android phones out & about than expected.

6. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Overheard at Apple store over lunch while checking to see they had an colored bumpers. (Abbreviated some)

Customer: Do you have any iPhones?
    Blue Shirt: Yes, do you want one?
    Customer: Yes! Is it a Black one?
    Blue Shirt: They are all Black. (Calls guy in back over headset)

Customer gets excited while waiting. Guy from back comes out with a 3GS.

I felt like pulling up a facepalm on the nearest iMac for everyone involved...

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

My local store isn't a big one and the wait list was a little over 600 people a night or two ago.

8. iTouch macrumors 6502

I would agree it depends on location and sometimes, the employee. I went to Glendale Galleria and mentioned that I was interested in paying full price for the phone. The employee told me they have a few side aside for this kind of case. But I also another employee and they told me I would be put on a wait list. So I'm not sure.

9. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I walked into an AT&T store last Tuesday (June 29) and got one. No line, no wait, no nothing. Took about 10 minutes. The guy I work with ordered one from AT&T a week ago and has no clue where his order is.

I think it just comes down to dumb luck. I'd trying calling around.

10. joshrholloway macrumors member

joshrholloway

I've heard stories of people just walking into stores and picking them up but it seems rare, and it really depends on the store.

Seems like Apple and AT&T stores are holding back all stock for people who have reserved phones. Some RadioShacks are doing the same, but not all. Best Buy and Walmart are not taking reservations as far as I know so those are your best bets on walk-in purchases.

Even then, I've been calling stores around here twice a day for a week now and every time I've been told they were out of stock. I am on a waiting list at my local Apple Store and RadioShack. Been on them for a week, nothing yet.

11. D3lta macrumors 6502a

These threads are stupid. Wouldn't it just be easier if you called your local store and asked? Its pretty obvious every store will have different stock, how are we supposed to account for every store?

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

From what I hear, Apple is putting them out in small shipments to each store (maybe a 100 at a time) and those are all going to pre-orders. So, the chance of walking in is and getting one is pretty slim, unless they do another walk in sale like the June 29th one.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I walked into a Walmart today and got a black 16GB.

The girl said they got two phones the first week, four last week, and two last night for this week. I bought one of the two and another customer waiting behind me bought the second. I just lucked out coming in the right time.

14. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

I think if this happened to me, I'd do a barrell roll

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

Well, the blueshirt did bring out what the customer wanted, right? Nobody said which iphone... :D

16. Troon macrumors regular

Troon

17. MaGnUae macrumors newbie

I'm coming to London on July 19th, and going to stay for 11 days, so my concern is

would i able to pick an iphone4 during that period :confused:

18. Jonobigblind macrumors member

I turned up at my O2 store and picked up a 32GB no problems at all.

19. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I.m on vacation in Maine with my Eris and god is it slow. What,s the chances up here, a white one, friday.,from at@t store

20. Iphone Newbie macrumors newbie

check here first then go to the store that has stock (step 2 is O2 retail)

http://stock.o2.co.uk/

21. Reser macrumors 6502

Er.. did you ACTUALLY read the guys post or are you just dumb?

If you are coming to London and then leaving you DO NOT want to buy an Iphone from O2 as these will be LOCKED to O2 and be useless in your country.

Only place to get an unlocked Iphone is Apple stores.

22. saidtezel macrumors member

But as far as I know, you can get it unlocked via o2 website, provided you have 15 pounds credit in ur sim card. Do you know anything about it fellas?

This is the website i heard about to unlock o2 phones: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset Unlocking Form

23. Iphone Newbie macrumors newbie

No need to be a complete bell-end is there

24. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne