Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
After using booth of the free trials on these products, I have no idea on witch one of them to purchase? both do what i need to do and at the moment i have no preference to with one i prefer,

Does anyone have any tips on what to buy?

thanks

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Did you find one easier to use than the other?
Are you going to be playing live ever in the future?
I would plonk my cash down for Live every time, but you gotta choose the one that suits you best.

deej

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I find Live incredibly easy to use and often use it instead of Logic if I just want to get some ideas down or for a quick "jam" with myself, but you have to make sure you pick the software that works best for you. There's nothing more frustrating than not being able to create a sound you want because the software is getting in your way. The Ableton website has a bunch of videos that may help you make up your mind whether Live fits your needs.

Link

genshi

macrumors 6502a
As deej99 and Queso both stated, it is about what suits you best, but if you'd like one more opinion from someone who had to use both programs as part of his day job (I use to make the loop libraries for M-Audio's ProSession line; I used Ableton Live, Acid Pro, Cubase, Recycle and Pro Tools everyday for 3 years) I would say Ableton Live hands down.

I may be biased since I've been using Live since version 1.5, but after using just about every thing else out there, Live is still the only [DAW] software I use for my own music.

Besides the ease of use, the immediacy of the Session view and all the extra options (the synths, samplers and now Max For Live!) it is the culture of Ableton I really love. I mean, I'm not sure exactly how Acid Pro started, but Ableton Live is the result of actual musicians (i.e., Robert Henke of Monolake) wanting to come up with a better way to play their music Live on a computer, the results, of course Ableton Live, and it has now grown into one of the most prolific and beloved tools out there for musicians. And those same musicians are still involved daily in the shaping of Ableton Live (in fact Robert Henke has free Max For Live patches that he made on his personal website for people to download.)

Dang, did that sound like a paid advertisement for them or what... it's not, it's just, for me, an inspiring piece of software.

Edit: Ableton just linked (from their Facebook page) to this video that is pretty impressive. I don't know of any other music software that would allow you to do this so easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5xNMnGAMSs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.