Ableton question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Dronomophone, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Dronomophone macrumors regular

I'm trying to figure out how to use Ableton Live. I have version 5.2. I'm trying to use the Key Map to trigger the clips, but for some reason all the keys dont work. I can assign a clip to a certain key, but then when i press it, nothing happens except for the key light lights up. I went through the whole keyboard, these are the only buttons that do anything:

1234567890pirq;'nm,./\][=`

Any ideas?

2. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

to the left the button you press to assign the keys to a function is another button that looks like a little keyboard (piano one not computer one). this allows you to use the keypad as a note input device. You just need to un-check it and our key maps will work fine.

3. Dronomophone thread starter macrumors regular

Oh my god. Thank you so much. How about this one, how do i get the samples to play right when i trigger them instead of on the down beat?

4. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

when in clip view mode (ie when you can se the waveform) in the far bottom hand corner is a small "L". click on that and it opens up the launch options next to it. The launch mode is set to be global by default which is normally a bar. If, however, you set the quantization to be None, then your clip will launch immediately. this works for individual clips. If you want to change the setting for every clip in your session then change the global quantize which is done in the control bar at the top. (next to the little pencil).....

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

And if you want to make the quantization "0" for all your sets, you can set it in Preferences>Defaults and set quantization to zero.

Are you doing this so setting it to play immediately better replicates letting go of a record (vinyl)?

6. Dronomophone thread starter macrumors regular

Well, right now i'm not using it for what most people use ableton for. I'm just using it right now to trigger non-music samples. I'll start messing around with creating electronic music with ableton soon.

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ah ok. Non-musical samples makes sense. Only reason I ask is I've been messing around with quantization and replicating the whole deck feel, but I think a) that's missing the point with Ableton somewhat and b) even if you did want to replicate decks, you may still be better off using quantization so it's perfectly in time without nudging.

Been learning a lot about the program in the last few weeks and it's pretty amazing.